Question Details

Brad Cecil, Real Estate Pro in Owensboro, KY

What's your number one complaint with real estate agents?

Asked by Brad Cecil, Owensboro, KY Thu Jan 27, 2011

Answers

5
I'll just cut right to the chase:
#1. The lack of professionalism and common courtesy of returning calls, e/m's or tx's in a RESPECTABLE time frame! -especially when working a deal and "Time is of the Essence" for ALL of us!

Here's my #1 and #2 pick: http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Buying/Foreclosure_short_s…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
Mack, you remain my biggest fan. If I'm ever on the left coast, we need to have coffee.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
Misrepresenting property while describing it on the MLS is a complaint often heard from buyers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
1). Mine is the lack of communication from some agents. 2). Lack of conformity with short-sales.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
My most frequent disagreement with real estate agents is in the things that we do that diminish the public's appreciation of the value our services bring to the public.

There are millions of home sales that go together every year with everybody being happy-ever-after and are brokered by professional real estate agents, but this is often overshadowed, not just by by the rare - remarkable, even - transactions where brokers draw formal complaints and some sort of disciplinary action, but from the petty jealousies ("s/he'll just take any listing that comes their way," for example) and fueled by negative impressions such as Trulia's Q&As that ask, "Why can't agents return phone calls on time?"

Real estate is a unique industry. We are professionals, licensed by the state, to sell the biggest ticket items people buy - real estate. We are compared to automobile dealers, as if $17,500 for a Kia is on a similar scale as buying a home or investment property.

We like to compare ourselves to physicians and attorneys, which is silly. I think we're closer to fine art dealers, except that our clients don't have to leave their property with us to get it sold. Also, they grab 25%-35% of each sale, whether it's a $50,000 piece or a multi-million dollar masterpiece.

It's true that the bar of entry is low, but mastery makes a big difference and takes time and experience.

I think that my number one complaint is that too many agents think we're not as good as we are, and aren't shy about sharing that opinion.