Clarkie, Home Seller in Worcester, MA

What's the best way for an absentee seller to work with an agent to sell a condo (non-foreclosure or short sale) in this market?

Asked by Clarkie, Worcester, MA Fri Jun 11, 2010

I moved away from Worcester and am now hoping to put my condo on the market there (I live on the west coast now, so trying to rent it out and manage it really isn't an option). What is the best way for me to go about doing this in this market? Are real estate agents willing to work with absentee sellers in the current market? It is in really great shape, having been completely remodeled from the studs out in 2005.

Dear Clarkie, I have 2 such situations like this right now. I have on client from Arizona and one client from Florida. They each have a local Attorney who has power of Attorney to sign documents at the closing for them. We verified who they were by having them provide proof with a drivers lic or passport. We did most formd virtually and the Atty will go to the closing and wire them the funds. As a realtor I did the smoke and water etc.. In addition I have a buyer from another country and we are doing this the same way. It's actaully more common than you think. Of course I would be happy to help you!

Heidi Zizza
Web Reference:

It's fairly simple to sell a property from far away. If there is some way to get access to the property to assess it's current condition & value. We can email agreements to start the process. I have systems in place to keep you apprised of showing activity & feedback via email.

My office is right here in worcester, so I can check on the property regularly to make sure it's OK. we can fedex documents. I can handle the final details like smoke & carbon monoxide detector inspections & final water readings. Condos require a 6-d certificate which I can help out with as well.

I have some clients who moved to Toronto that I'm representing in a sale right now. Another property will be coming on soon for some west coast owners. It's no more difficult than if you're still living here.

If you'd like to discuss things in more detail, please call or email-

Dave Stead
Web Reference:
Good advice below. I am agent who moved back to CA from WA and I listed my home with a "real estate friend who was also giving me a discount". I was not happy because she did not understand the upgrades and how to market the home to the demographics. Also, the house was in an water view community which had a lot of out of town visitors. She was to hold itopen on a three day weekend which would have given the home the visibility to people looking for water view. When I found out she didn't hold it open and didn't find a replacement, I was not happy and we were not able to come to an agreement. I canceled the listing and listed with another agent (at his full commission) who understood what was needed and communicated to me regularly.

So with that, yes, it can be done. Interview 2-3 full time agents and get recommendations, check their references, Google their name. If they are marketing the "heck" out of the listing their name should pop up all over the internet. I've often done the research to find out of area agents for my clients, because working in the business we know what to ask.

Some of the best tools for out of area sellers which agents use are; Docusign, Web based On Line Disclosures and files, they should be adept with scanners, faxes, internet, have resources for signers, etc.
Web Reference:
Hello Clarkie,

What a coincidence - I've been working with two other west-coast sellers this year. Whether you are strong with technology, or still prefer U.S. mail, you can easily have your condo listed and sold.

It would be my pleasure to create a market analysis for you and talk with you about all of the steps involved - from listing and marketing to handling contracts and closing. Feel free to contact me at or (508) 982-0686.

Kathryn Acciari, REALTOR
RE/MAX Professional Associates

Hi Clarkie-

Selling your condo long distance is definitely do-able. The real estate agent will help you with pricing, will handle showing the condo to prospective buyers, and negotiating the offer. They will also oversee the home inspection and deal with any issues that may arise with that. Communication is key, so it is very important that you feel comfortable with the agent that you choose. With today's technology, selling long-distance isn't as challanging as it used to be. If you'd like to speak directly with me to learn more about the process, please don't hesitate to call or email me. Good luck with your venture!!!

Cindie Tessier, Realtor
ERA Key Realty Services
Hi Clarkie,

I am a realtor in Worcester County and have worked with absentee sellers before with our relocation company, where sellers would sometimes have to leave for their new job before their home is sold. It is not much different than working with an owner who occupies a property, other than having to fax or mail paperwork for you to sign, and trusting the realtor with your condo to do showings, going by the condo every few days to make sure it's secure, etc.

I'd be happy to talk with you further about the listing process and can even email you a Market Analysis, showing you what has sold in this market to obtain a potential market value for your condo. If you'd like more information about the listing process, feel free to contact me anytime by email, text messages, or by my cell phone information below. Take care and I wish you well with the sale of your condo!

Angela Dolber
Prudential Prime Properties
Yes, many agents work or have worked with absentee sellers--contact a few different local realty offices and interview a couple of agents-- ask about marketing strategies, what feedback (communication) can you expect and with what frequency; will data be supplied to help establish a fair and marketable asking price; will buyers be pre-screened and required to have mortgage pre-approvals when submitting offers, etc., then choose the agent you like best, and the one who has the most to offer--choose your agent with care.
Most agents including myself would be happy to work with an absentee owner on the sale of their property. I'll be honest there are some added difficulties when the agent and the seller can't meet face to face, however that said given the available technologies and the willingness of both parties to work together towards a common goal it shouldn't be a problem. My suggestion is that you call a few agent and schedule telephone interviews with them to see who you think would be a better fit to work with. From their you can choose the agent that best suits your needs. If I can be of further assistance please let me know.
Web Reference:

There you can upload docs download docs etc. Get full REALTOR® representation. EXIT has a website and a page especially or short sales. Regardless of what you do -- it would be worth it to you to check it out.
Web Reference:
Hi Clarkie,

It's done all the time actually! As you interview a few marketing agents, have them tell YOU what they will do to market your home...IN YOUR ABSENCE. The answers should make complete sense and put your mind at ease!

Judy Boyle
RE/MAX Signature Properties
Servicing Worcester and Southern Middlesex Counties