Market Conditions in 55413>Question Details

Ken Perkins, Home Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

What is the trend in rents for a duplex in northeast Minneapolis near Broadway and University?

Asked by Ken Perkins, Minneapolis, MN Fri Sep 28, 2007

The Northeast Minneapolis area seems to have a lot of new building going on kind of like the Uptown area was a long time ago.

Answers

5
Rents are still going down in most areas. We assume we will see a upswing as more people move to renting over the next two years.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2007
I'm a landlord right in that nook, and rents have been relatively stable for a couple of years. I don't see them going up in the next 2 years, but once the economy stabilizes people will not be as likely to pass up a nice place in a great location with higher rent. Overall, this neighborhood is known and loved by renters as a nice change from the rent prices in uptown and closer to campus. The average 2 bedroom duplex unit in this area would run between $750 and $1000 depending on size, amenities, and utilities included. This particular area has seen many changes since i made the switch from renter to landlord. Tons of new restaurants, shops, and galleries have been flying up and pride of ownership in the area is coming back. I am the only owner occupant on my block, but the neighbors that rent all take nice care of their space. Great rental area!
I live about 4 blocks away from Broadway/University and rents have increased for the last 2-3 years, but have started to plateau. I would say they are not going to go that much higher in this neighborhood due to the bad economy and more rental properties being available. There are a lot of duplex's for rent in the Logan neighborhood, but not as Many in Sheridan or St. Anthony West and rents vary accordingly.
Web Reference: http://natebenton.com
It looks like rents will be stable or increasing. More people are holding off on purchasing a home plus less people are qualifying for a mortgage now so the supply of renters is good. The only down side is that people who can't sell their homes are adding them to the rental pool.
Rent should start to trend upward because of the tightening in the mortgage industry.