Gayle.gwozdz, Home Buyer in New Britain, CT

What is the significance of having ASBESTOS shingles?

Asked by Gayle.gwozdz, New Britain, CT Sun Jan 26, 2014

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3143733245-64-Huber-St-New-Br…

Answers

5
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 27, 2014
Thank you. That was a great link! gg
Flag Mon Jan 27, 2014
Asbestos can be very harmful, and it can cause a number of breathing problems, as well as other illnesses. I would definitely suggest getting those shingles replaced immediately if it's your home, or requiring that change before closing if you're considering buying the house. Just make sure that the asbestos is professionally and correctly removed. The last thing you'd want is to have to deal with these problems because of an incorrect removal.
http://www.totalasbestos.com.au/domestic
Asbestos shingles on the exterior of the house are usually quite safe, very enduring, and good insulators. As long as the shingles are painted/maintained, and remain intact/not extensively broken, the asbestos fibers are very densely compressed and pretty much encapsulated by the paint. Many owners will put vinyl siding right over the asbestos siding because of the extra insulation which provides another barrier to the asbestos fibers. Also, when removing these shingles they will also break and crack and that is when asbestos fiber gets released into the air. If for some reason you choose to remove asbestos shingles, you should wear a respirator/mask, and the shingles need to be properly disposed of...check your town building department for regulations on this.
Typically homeowners leave up the shingles (that may or may not contain asbestos - nobody knows for sure unless you get them tested but many people assume that shingles of a particular type probably contain asbestos) unless they're in bad shape. They hold paint very well - better than wood it seems - and can look very nice when painted. If you were to remove them someday you would have additional cost for disposal.
I didn't know that things like the shingles could be left up. My parents had to get the texture on their ceiling removed because it had asbestos. Though that was because they were redoing that area and knew it would be best to just take care of it.
http://www.asbestop.com.au
Flag Fri Oct 24, 2014
Hi Gayle,

Are these asbestos shingles the siding of the house? They can be covered with siding. Many years ago they had to be removed and hauled away at a great expense. I hope this helps to answer your question.

Esther Farr,GRI
Esther@AdFarrRealty.com
860-223-3277
Thank you for the kindness of your reply. This is just a house that I am considering submitting a bid on. I honestly haven't seen anything but the online pictures (and boy, have those pictures fooled me at times...). Just wanted to get an idea if it was such a deal breaker that I shouldn't waste the agent's time going to see it. Thanks again. Gayle
Flag Mon Jan 27, 2014