Market Conditions in Miami>Question Details

H, Home Buyer in Coral Gables, FL

What is the cost/ sq ft for new residential construction ?

Asked by H, Coral Gables, FL Tue Jan 22, 2008

Looking for cost to build a private residence in the mid-upper category, excluding appliances. (NOT in luxury home category, no marble floors, etc)

Answers

7
Great answer John.

H, to answer your question my family recently completed their new home with high-end finishes for less than $150 / sq.ft. That is a good estimate though for you to use in your projection for the cost of construction and yes it does include all items related to construction. When looking for a GC make sure that you get everything in writing upfront and that you are clear on how and when they will get paid. Make sure that you do not pay for a job until it has been completed. Also, ask to see pricing on materials and labor, not just for the whole job. A word of advice, you can save alot of money buy buying the materials yourself and then finding someone to do the job. Remember, first thing, shop around for your materials. Example... call various places for quotes on a granite countertop. I guarantee that you will be surprised at the difference in pricing between some shops. By the way, there are many laborers and construction workers looking for work , so labor should be negotiable.

Good luck!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2008
I would advise you now to find a reputable builder in your area and check them out with the BBB and people he has build for before. Ask for formal clients name and call them up. A good builder would not have any problems doing this. The next step is to get the design of your house completed and put features into the house you want. The builder then should be able to give you an estimate of the price of a completed house. This estimate should have all the cost included like permitting, subcontractors, and other fees like clearing the lot, hauling off the trash and portable restrooms. The builder I work with has a list of some 55 items in the cost of the home, SOME builders have a couple of practices I do not agree with and they add cost in while they construct the homes. If you do not change the plans of the original design they should be no added cost. I would be glad to review the estimate on the builders contract to see if your builder has covered everything and no surprises later after the home is being built.

And last...write or call me for any questions you might have. No obligations, I just like to see people in the homes they want.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 23, 2008
John's answer covers a lot of what you need to know, but I'll add this: the location of your new home DOES make a difference, too. I notice that you are in Coral Gables. It's important to understand that the Gables has different zoning and permitting regulations than other municipalities. Setbacks, building restrictions, and special permitting are all aspects of your project that you and your contractor need to take into consideration. Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 23, 2008
I work for a builder and specific in custom home building in Southwest Florida. A good planning figure is 140 to 160 a square foot. It could be lower down depending on the design and what features you want to put into the home. If you want thermo foil cabinets and solid surface counter tops the prices is cheaper than wood cabinets with marble counter tops.

If you would contact me I can get you and the builder together to work out the design and features you want in the home and he can give you a good estimate on your cost. This will be at no obligation to you and you will know what it will cost to build that dream house you want.

john.albertsen@coldwellbankerflorida.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2008
What is the cost/ sq ft for new residential construction in Rocklegde florida. Not in luxury home category,no floors, etc
what is the cost for new interior residential painting- primer two coats finish.
Hello John & Ramesh,

Thank you for your responses. The property is actually located in the S. Miami/ Kendall area so there will be less restrictions and red-tape than in the Gables, but still may encounter some in S. Miami.

I am interested in higher end finishes, like granite counters in the kitchen, which is on par with the neighborhood, but not over the top (i.e. marble, etc.).

Thank you for the estimate $140-$160, I was thinking $150.00/ sq ft for new construction, so I am atleast in the ball park. What does that range include? Granite counters and wood cabinets? Does it include pulling permits, the GC fees, subcontractors, etc? Or is that just the physical components (materials) and labor?

Any other helpful hints for remodeling or new construction is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I too am from Kendall and am considering building a 700 square foot efficiency in my backyard to earn rental income. What was your experience regarding labor and materials costs? Permit restrictions? Things to look out for with contractors? Possibly buying the materials yourself to lower the price?
Thanks for any help,
S. Joseph
Flag Thu Mar 27, 2014