Eddie, Home Buyer in 10023

What is the cost per foot to build a well-constructed, single family residential home in the Berkshires?

Asked by Eddie, 10023 Thu Feb 14, 2008

I realize this is an imprecise science, but a range of values would be helpful. I am guessing $150-200, is that the right ballpark?

Answers

6
Hi Eddie,
shop around, you'll be surprised by new technologies in construction of homes
and price depends etirely on your requirements. Goggle info on "Barden Homes", etc.
Good luck, Dagmar Kubes, Broker Assoc. Century 21 FSA
Eddie, Today the $150/sf would be tough to hit. It depends somewhat on what part of the county: north, central, or south and which particular town. $200 - $225/sf would be a good budgeting number. In your whole program you will want to be thoughtful at every level: site/lot, foot print, interior and exterior finishes, and so on. The less maintenance on a product, such as a metal roof, the higher the cost to install. You benefit in the long run but pay a bit more in the short run.
Your price per foot will vary tremendously depending upon the fixtrues and finishes chosen. You might be able to accomplish this for under $150/ft or it could run double that.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
a lot less than it was in 2005-2006

good luck
It depends on site difficulty, septic and well configurations, finishes, etc, but it's generally thought to be $250 and over inclusive of driveway, well, waste, and reasonable sitework.
I think you're right in the right range if you build it up from scratch, and use average finishes and what not. If you're looking to build from the ground up, I would highly reccomend looking into some prefab options. The prefab industry has improved by leaps and bounds in quality and efficiency, and it could potentially save you some scratch in the end...

I know it has a negative association with it, but there are plenty of million dollar homes that are actually prefab and you'd never know it... Unfortunately I don't have any good links to give, perhaps someone with a little more prefab experience can guide you in the right path...