Ar, Home Buyer in Santa Fe, NM

What is the construction cost per square foot for a single family home (new construction) in Santa Fe?

Asked by Ar, Santa Fe, NM Wed Apr 25, 2012

Mid to high end finishes for about 3000 sq ft

Answers

15
Ar’s answer
Thank you all for the prompt responses to my question. You've confirmed the range and target I had anticipated. I do understand the variables to this number.
Also thanks for the multiple offers of help. It is rather early in our process, so if the opportunity arises, I will certainly keep them in mind.
Thx!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 27, 2012
You're welcome!

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
Flag Fri Apr 27, 2012
Anywhere from $55.00 - 65.00 per sq foot for a garage to $100 - $500 per square foot for a custom home.
It is absolutely embarrassing to see all of these realtors tripping over each other attempting to have an opportunity to sniff a little deal.

Further, outside of Beverly Chapman, Thomas Fitzgerald, and Anthony Atwell, what in the world are people answering this question for?

Emily Medvec? Really? I can't remember your last development...please post a link in here so that we can admire your skills.
Mark L., Who are you to belittle Emily Medvec? Really? Who have you helped buy or build in santa fe?
Flag Sun Jun 14, 2015
cost to build energy efficient home ( solar ) simple and open 2-3 bed rooms ranch 12-1500 - double garage lots of windows
uggg not indo would like to know in Santa Fe New Mexico
Flag Thu Jan 23, 2014
I work with a builder and over the last three years he has built energy efficient homes with quality finishes. All homes qualify for a minimum silver New Mexico rating with some at gold. They all qualify for the State sustainable tax credit. Standard finishes are vigas or beams in great room, poured concrete floors, advanced framing techniques, solid stone countertops, top of the line cabinets, quality windows, solid wood doors, gourmet kitchens, large walk in closets, travertine tile in bathrooms, flat wall or plaster and a small solar photo voltaic system using micro inverters so it can be upgraded to handle whatever the clients wants to offset in terms of energy use. Costs not counting land is around $160 per sq. ft.
AR, frankly it depends as you can see by the range of answers. The location of the lot will also make a difference given if it is in Santa Fe County or the city, any HOA requirements and reviews etc. The biggest barrier to new construction can be securing financing. Also, many of our clients are seeking more efficient construction solutions to save energy and again everything will vary. The other factor is the cost of building materials and access to your building lot. We currently have several bank owned lots on the market including one in Las Campanas which you might want to consider as a way to reduce your initial up front costs. If you have any questions, I am available and do answer my phone.
I agree with Spence!!! Thank you too! We are here to help if you need us in the future! Chapman Homes, would of course, love the opportunity to bid on your new home, if and when you are ready! Take care and have a great weekend!
It is we who thank you, Ar.
Your question is often on the minds of folks considering building here so it, and our responses, will help that broader base of readers too. And thanks, too, for recognizing our responses.
Cost will depend upon the area you choose and how many ammenities you choose. Various neighborhood covenant requirements outline minimum building standards. In Santa Fe, NM construction home costs run $200-$400 sqr/ft.
You will probably be in the $250sf to $295sf range! Probably you would be $750,000 to $900,000 for house only! Hope that helps!
My company builds homes here in Santa Fe! We are ranging anywhere from around $225sf to around $275sf depending on the specifications of the home. We actually just did a guest house for around $200sf. I'd love the opportunity to share our processes with you if that would help! Feel free to contact me at beverly@newmexico.com or check out our website at http://www.chapmanhomes.com. Thanks for your inquiry!
Lots of variables, as others have mentioned. Obviously you shouldn't base your decision on cost alone, and you want a builder with a solid track record, who gets high marks from past and current clients, is sensitive to your budget and timelines, etc.
Do you have a lot? If not, there are some fantastic opportunities in higher-end communities here in Santa Fe. I also have a top-rated builder as one of my associates who would be happy to give you some advice.
If I can help you, please let me know.
Web Reference: http://SpenceRalston.com
There are custom new construction opportunities available at $249 per sqft. Ultimately, it will depend on overall floor plan, upgrades, etc.

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
Web Reference: http://www.Syan.com
Great question, it will start around $275.00 a SqFt and creep up based on many variables including finish selection, building site, size of home and much more. If you'd like to speak to one of my agent's specializing in this feel free to email me at wsacks@brisf.com.
Somewhere around $300 to 350 psf. and up. There are a ton of variables that can push your number up. Remember that many builders left the trade over the last few years and new construction starts are down. That may give you some negotiating power but you'll have to be careful as to who you hire in Santa Fe.