Trulia Long…, Other/Just Looking in Long Beach, CA

What is the biggest misconception about Long Beach real estate?

Asked by Trulia Long Beach, Long Beach, CA Sat Apr 13, 2013

Answers

6
Brings to mind my conversation with my dear hairdresser once who works in Newport Beach...when I found out he lived in Long Beach (Landmark GORGEOUS house) I asked him if he ever got a bad rap for living here (after all, you do hear stories from time to time)...he was shocked and replied "Oh! Only from un-educated people" made me smile! Long Beach is GREAT...something for everyone...and that is a TRUE story!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 13, 2013
Long Beach Real Estate varies by area. Long Beach is a Big City, many areas, many zip codes, many price ranges from mobile homes to mansions.
To echo Julia's point, Long Beach has a reputation with some (especially with our neighbors in Orange County) as being an unsafe city. Unfortunately, Snoop Dogg and his entourage didn't help us shed that false reputation!
Just like any big city, Long Beach has very safe neighborhoods, and some that statistically have a much higher crime rate. It varies from neighborhood to neighborhood, and sometimes street to street.
I have lived here now for 2 years in a downtown condo with a nice ocean view. It is a second home. Never did I expect to be able to afford a condo with a view of the Pacific Ocean, and in a safe area where you can walk to great restaurants and many interesting attractions.

The biggest misconception is that Long Beach is a beach. There is a 7 mile long stretch of beautiful sand, but no waves at the "beach." You see, 2 miles off shore the government built a sea wall that effectively stops the swells and prevents any wave action. Water quality is questionable, but improving. The water is tested often and safe most of the time, but you rarely see anyone swimming. You must go to Huntington Beach tor great wave action. A nice drive; a really nice beach.

Long Beach is great for boaters because of the calmer waters. I have a cruiser and some friends have sail boats. We have a lot of fun, but the sea wall has got to go to make Long _______ a great city and worthy of being called Long BEACH.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 11, 2013
Great question!

Long Beach is a very diverse city. When discussing this city one may look at it from a number of ways; architecturally, culturally, ethnicity, and life-style are but few ways to examine the fabric of each community within the bounds of the city.

Keeping this in mind, I would say the biggest misconception of Long Beach is that it is still 'Iowa by the Sea'. For many years, Recreation Park would be the site of the "Annual Iowa Picnic". So many mid-Westerners were in our city, this annual event enabled them to maintain ties to their past, see old friends and make new friends.

Long Beach is a vibrant city with much to offer to all! Yes, there is a past. A past that offers history buffs much to learn and enjoy.

The city offers a future, a very bright future to all. There is the harbor, one of the largest in the world, which brings in trade, and with that jobs. We enjoy a wonderful tourist trade, bring many people to the city for fun and recreation.

There are many different destination life-style areas; Belmont Shore/Naples, Downtown, and Bixby Knolls to name but a few. There are many parks, with more being planned or under construction for the citizens to enjoy. There are wonderful museums such as the Museum of Latin American Art and the Long Beach Art Museum.

We enjoy world class entertainment, performed at top-notch locations.

Long Beach is no longer "Iowa by the Sea". Long Beach is a growing and glowing community with much to offer and to be enjoyed!
One is that the homes are old.

Long Beach is a very attractive city. The city host many different demographic.

Long Beach is:

1 A college town
2. A beach city
3. A great place to retire
4. A town with plenty to offer families with young children
5. A city with great night life and cultural entertainment, from comedy shows, concerts, to the arts there is something for everyone.

*Not to mention cool ocean breezes and access to major freeways, making a weekend escape easy to navigate.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Prudential California Realty