Saga, Real Estate Pro in Albuquerque, NM

What is really going on with the possibility of developing lots in the Volcano Cliffs area of Albuquerque? I

Asked by Saga, Albuquerque, NM Sun Jun 29, 2008

have heard that the City of Albuquerque is not allowing utilties to be extended.

Answers

3
There is an article in today’s (7/22) Westside Journal that details what is going on with the plan. Also my listing #532574 has the plan maps attached. Also, if you dig around on the city website you can find the complete master plan.

I had heard the there was a lawsuit pending… I hope they can get this resolved and start moving things forward.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 22, 2008
The Volcano Cliffs area is ready for planned development as soon as all the stakeholders can agree on how development should proceed, according to reports from a city councillor very much in favor of moving the plans along. Since you mention the extension of utilities, another nearby project, the far more extensive, master-planned SunCal community recently had some setbacks with respect to tax incentives for infrastratcture develoopment. But on a recent city tour sponsored by the Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce, we drove through their some of the lands they plan to develop, including their Volcano Cliffs area. One of our tour guides, a spokesperson for SunCal, gave us a positive report on their project. So to answer your question, I think is is only a matter of time before these developments get underway. It is my opinon that we will see a flurry of new housing starts and construction as soon as the housing shift upward. Like everyone else, I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't tell you when that will be, but I don't think it will be long.
Web Reference: http://www.eloisegift.com
My family has owned land in VC since the 70's. My father was a Viet Nam vet, who bought into it with a bunch of other vets. The city of Albuquerque has basically taken the land to give to developers to make a 'Portland style' high density living space, expecting the land owners to donate up to 30% of their land for the city to use as it wants, be it parks, schools etc., hence the law suit. It's a shame that this is the way the city has decided to handle the retirement investment of a bunch of veterans, many of whom are now dying, having waited decades to do something with their land. Most people do not move out west to live in tiny apartments above shops, and in fact that is exactly what they move here to get away from! Anyway, noone really knows what is happening, as last I heard some of the city council had been hired as consultants by the developer (standard pratice here, apparently), so the city may just end up calling 'imminent domain', and stealing the land. Gotta love the Duke City...