Gerard Carney, Real Estate Pro in Spring Hill, FL

What do you want and expect from your "Realtor"?

Asked by Gerard Carney, Spring Hill, FL Mon Jan 3, 2011

Way to often we meerly assume we know what the customer wants. So here is a question for you the Buyer or the Seller to tell us what you want or expect from us. I hope we get some answers here so that we can reform and adapt to be more helpful for all of our customers, whether buyers or sellers.

Answers

6
to answer your phone and/or return calls in a timely manner...that's the #1 complaint I hear about other realtors.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 4, 2011
Honesty, Confidentiality , Reliability , 24/7 Information. Transportation and Oh yes work for nothing.
What you should expect from your Realtor is many things but they should first and foremost LISTEN to you and and what you need. Next they should be FULL SERVICE and FULL TIME. They should answer email and phone calls within a reasonable time. If they are not available for more than a day ( FOR INSTANCE MANY REALTORS TAKE ONGOING EDUCATIONAL CLASSES ) they should have someone you could call that will be there for you if they can't. They are knowledgable, understand you, and make you feel comfortable.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 9, 2011
Had to respond to Homeowner Andy's requirement for the listing agent to accompany all showings on their listing.

If the home is a million dollar listing than yes it may be appropriate for the agent to attend the buyer's agent showing. For under $500k, it's a little unreasonable and actually may injure the seller's chance of selling if his home is difficult to show because it has to coordinate with the listing agent's schedule.

Also the buyer's agent has a very good feel for exactly what his client is looking for for and has a level of comfort working with that buyer. I have had numerous uncomfortable showings where the Seller's agent was present during the showing. In over ten years I can say that perhaps 2 of the showings where the listing agent was present was actually beneficial. The other multiple occasions were not only very inconvenient to schedule the showings (I had to bypassshowing some because it was convenient for my buyers to see the property at the convenience of the listing agent) but also didn't allow my client to fully evaluate the house because they were completely uncomfortable.

Many studies have been done to prove that the listing agent (unless a million dollar plus type of listing) will actually hurt a seller if that seller demands the listing agent accompany all showings.

Thanks for the "best answer" votes, Gerard!

Alma
The realtor should 'hear and listen' to what the buyer wants - not what they want them to have. We spent 2 months in Florida this past winter - looking for a house to buy that fit our needs - a winter home - and for some reason the realtors we dealt with were not in tune with our needs - not only not in tune - but after 6 weeks, they didn't even address us by our correct names - and so they were fired! We were and are cash buyers - but only for a home that we want, not for a house that is a complete mess with appliances ruined, dog chewed doorways, tiles purposely cracked and broken - and only to hear that the'house only needs a little TLC' - NOT !!!! We are retired, and want to be able to buy and move in, not overhaul a house. Don't LIE to your buyers !!!!! This is NOT a reflection on Mr. Carney at all - just a reflection of the terrible experience we had with 2 different realtors.
When I list my home with a real estate agent, I expect he/she will be at "all" showings. After all, he/she has been in my home, they've seen what makes the home special, so who better to point out these qualities than the "actual" agent that listed the home.

For another agent to "show" my home to a perspective buyer, when he/she has "never" been in my home is ludicrous. How can he/she point out the qualities that make my home special when in fact, they've never seen my home until they show it for the first time...it's kind of like the blind leasding the blind.