Gerard Carney, Real Estate Pro in Spring Hill, FL

What are we doing to help the housing market on?

Asked by Gerard Carney, Spring Hill, FL Sat Sep 4, 2010

We all seem to be looking for the Federal Government to make this all go away, but the question is, what can we as professionals do to make this situation better!

Answers

9
Inform the consumer of local market trends. Be informative ,responsible and always truthful.
Be resorceful stay on top of your game on all real estate related topics addressing pricing,availability,comparable sales. Provide assistance regarding short sales, foreclosures, auctions and marketing techiques available . Network with financial institutions and have knowledge of the available programs best suited in finanacing. Never give legal advice that is why we have lawyers.
To survive in a changing market place applying knowledge with integrity and profesionalism is an ingerdient that requires more than optimism it requires street smarts and quick thinking. The difference between what governments can or canot do is understanding the business of real estate. Realtors understand that the best solution for solving present market conditions is to keep government out and let the market settle on it'sown where the free flow of available financing promotes demand and reduces the supply encouraging the solidification of value.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 7, 2010
I think the answer is education with, perhaps, a little cheer leading. Buyers are afraid of buying right now because they don't trust the future. In good times, we act as if the future will only get better. In bad times, we take on the opposite approach. But there is a lot of good news out there right now, especially mortgage interest rates and home affordability, so we must get the word out and encourage a little buyer confidence. With low interest rates, a slow market, lower prices, and REOs/short sales, we should be able to find the right home at the right price for just about anybody with reasonably good credit. But we have to let buyers in on the secret.

Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
303.473.1926
3 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
Gerard,

Great question and one that we feel is best approached by being honest with sellers. Taking listings for thousands above the actual local market activity for similar homes is only giving people false hopes and continuing to clog up the marketing system.

The fact that many homes are still "over priced" is not helping the market or economy in any way towards the desired recovery.

It's time to get real.................

Agree plus stay positive - last week I made a decision to remain positive and optimistic. While I don't have data at the moment to suggest that the later is warranted, I know that being positive is critical for success - anything less will sink your business and make you an unattractive choice as an agent.

Let me amplify Gab's call for truthfulness - I lose my share of listing business because I am truthful above all - but I am certain that by being truthful I am best serving my clients. To sellers and buyers alike I would stress, look for this quality in the agents you interview. An agent that "buys" your business will stroke your ego for the short term but take you down a perilous path that will lead to a lower sale price, of that I am certain.

Stay positive, optimistic, knowledgeable, responsive, and truthful - if each of us does that, we will have done our part. Frankly, I'd like to see the government stay out - their intervention, though it fueled the business for many of us, was a temporary fix and the until the market is able to right itself, I think conditions will remain difficult. I intend to consider this when I vote in November and beyond.

Jeanne Feenck
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenic.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 8, 2010
The key to me is "Fair Market Value". In pricing homes, for sale or doing a market study for our buyers, we look for recent sales in the area and recommend a competative price that will appraise.

Education is an important key for Realtors today. Get your SFR certification so you can councel sellers in foreclosure alternatives.

Debbie Albert, PA
Coldwell Banker Residential
Web Reference: http://www.ronanddebbie.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
We need to come up with a way to creat jobs and job growth.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
Hopefully every Real Estate Professional is Making it a duty to show as many Foreclosure, REO, and Short Sales Ptopertoes there are on the MLS, the sooner these come of the market the sooner our Arms length deals will become just that!
Help people understand the historic housing market trend is --- UP!
Things are tough for a very particular reason. Long term home investing is still viable.
I think the most we can do is try to sell as many homes as we can to reduce inventory, as well as try to be active politically and through our realtor associations to help lawmaker "make better laws" that actually help the market and not hurt it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010