gratitude7, Home Buyer in Frisco, TX

What are the safest neighborhoods to live in NE Albuquerque? We will be relocating there next spring due to job.

Asked by gratitude7, Frisco, TX Wed Oct 9, 2013

Very worried about the crime statistics reported by Sperling. Don't want Rio Rancho, SE or SW, only NE

Answers

6
Non-realtor here. Abq is a diverse city. You are asking the question in the wrong way. It should be what crime ridden areas should I avoid. For example, one of the safest areas in Abq is Four Hills in the SE. It backs up to Kirtland AFB and is a great middle class area. It has aged but the lots are large - .45 acre.
Another great area in the SE is the new development Manzano Mesa - also next to Kirtland AFB. Unfortunately, there are bad spots - usually the apartment complexes. Also a very safe area is the North Valley in the NW but on the east side of the river.
Areas I would avoid is the university area but south of the university, north are fabulous homes. But then again there is the country club area in the south that has old homes and parks and is a safe area.
Another area to avoid is the State Fair area and south of Central down to Kirtland AFB. But there is a great area by the VA hospital on Ridgecrest road.
In the NE, west of Tramway are bad neighborhoods but then again that same area has Tanoan, Peppertree, and Academy Estates. And I would say avoid the 'Old Town' but there is some gated million dollar homes there too that are safe.
Rio Ranch is much the same - I am just not familiar with it.
I know this sound wierd but dont worry about safety. Focus instead on vicinity to work, size of home and schools (even that can be a non-factor is you can use private schools). Sadly, it is the price of homes that can determine the safety. The newer homes have alarm systems and are avoided by criminals. Most of the crime is in the poorer neighborhoods.
Find the area near your work, then find the square footage home you want, then visit. You can tell as you drive around the neighborhood.
The crime statistics seem bad but remember that Washington DC had the worst murder rate in the nation and some of the safest neighborhoods in the world. I lived there for years and jogged at night safely. You have to get boots on the ground, not something the computer data can show accurately.
Good hunting.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 11, 2013
This was the most clear, concise and thoughtful response. Your comparison of D.C was excellent it helps put into perspective a better way of understanding the crime stats. Planning to move myself from NYC, and we also had insurmountable crime once upon a time. So thanks for the detailed specific explanation, you delivered the best description for someone planning a move. Ayvwiya.
Flag Sat Jan 17, 2015
Hi there Gratitude7,
First of all, congratulations on your upcoming move and relocation. Albuquerque is a fantastic city. I grew up in the Dallas area and moved to Albuquerque in 95. I absolutely love the area.

Second, safety is a very personal request that many of my clients ask. Because the scope of what is being requested is so broad, the state asks us to provide you with the resources to discover what is important to you around safety rather than recommend 'safe' areas.

A great site to do that on is with the city. http://www.cabq.gov/onlinesvcs/crimestats/
The site allows you to investigate the areas as well as create your own personal crime reports. In the area you are requesting (NE) the zip codes you want to look at are 87109, 87110, 87111, 87112, 87122.

Also be sure to download my FREE mobile Real Estate app to help you with your search. Any questions you have, feel free to contact me directly. I'm happy to help with your relocation.

Joshua Christensen
O: 505-897-1100
D: 505-250-1944
Real Estate | Wealth | Your Future
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 10, 2013
This is a questions we are asked often as realtors by buyers moving from a distant location. Where you will be comfortable living is a very personal thing and people "know it when they see it." Also, as realtors aren't legally allowed to answer this question. What I can help you with is information about neighborhoods with good resale value and those that show pride of ownership. I'm a certified relocation expert and I've helped many people relocating find the right area for them. PS: Both my retired parents and my sister's family live in Rio Rancho and feel quite safe!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 9, 2013
There are some wonderful areas and neighborhoods in the NE Heights that you will be able to pick and choose from. Tanoan and High Desert are both very favorable. Those are gated communities as well. I like the neighborhood I'm in; its not in a gated community and very comfortable and safe for my family.
Check out the crime stats available, and if you have any questions about a specific home, or neighborhood let me know and I'd be glad to help.

Adam Pehrson
Sandia Peak Realty
Adam@SandiaPeakRealty.com
http://www.SandiaPeakRealty.com
505-401-0496
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 9, 2013
Many good neighborhood in Albuquerque or Rio Rancho. For crime rate depends on area, best place to find you answer is the police department. See link below.
http://www.cabq.gov/police/crime-statistics

There are many important factor when purchasing a home, security is one of them, the others are convenience and environment. This will be easier if you visit in person. If you let me know what is the criteria of your dream home, I can put together a search that meet your needs.

Mei Cheng
Prudential New Mexico Properties
(505) 259-8775 Cell
(505) 797-5555 Work

This is a topic that should ONLY be answered by you based on the information received from the local police department. They can provide you with crime stats that can help you make an informed decision with regard to safety.

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
FREE Listing Alerts: http://www.syan.com/alerts
Web Reference: http://www.syan.com
Actually, my answer had nothing to do with "what the buyer doesn't know". It was intended for you to determine if a neighborhood is safe based on facts provided by a reliable source, not opinion. The police department provides you with crime stats. This is where you decide if the information is satisfactory. Best regards.
Flag Wed Oct 9, 2013
Sorry, wrong answer ! It's like 'what the buyer doesn't know, all the better'.....especially ones coming from out of town. Realtors are here to sell houses and they figure there's a fool born every minute and the police department isn't always forthright .
Flag Wed Oct 9, 2013