James Gielow, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

What are the neighbors like?

Asked by James Gielow, San Diego, CA Wed Jul 18, 2012

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3090065112-548-S-45th-St-San-…

Answers

5
James,
Your question is very subjective; each of us has an idea of what a perfect neighbor would be. It is unethical and possibly illegal for a Realtor to give impressions of the characteristics of a neighborhood or the people living there.It may be considered redlining or steering.
The best way is to spend some time in the area and meet people or drive through the neighborhood to see what it is like. If you are concerned about crime in the area you should check in at the local police sub-station located at 7222 Skyline Dr and ask them or call them at 619-527-3500.

I am never too busy for your referrals

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
Jerry Heard gave you an excellent answer - thumbs up for him!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 19, 2012
I thought I should follow up on this. Yes, indeed it is a subjective question, but that's why you ask subjective questions; to get people opinions. I ended up buying a house in Mountain View and have been there since November. And, as a result, I now have an opinion.

While there are some parts of Mountain View that needs a bit of cleaning up and some areas that have elements of crime, the neighbors have proven to be warm and welcoming people. I have made many new friends and feel fully welcomed to the community. Even if I am one of the only white people living there, everyone treats me like I've been there my whole life.

The community itself is showing signs of improvement as well. As soon as I moved in the streets were paved and a new community garden opened up right on the corner. Everyone you pass on the streets says a warm hello, something that I never had living in Ocean Beach (a community where you'd expect it).

I've looked into every hood in San Diego for a home that I could afford that also had all the fixings a home should. Plenty of room and large yard for dogs and kids with plenty of room to grow. The money I saved on purchasing this house I can put towards improvements to the land. Now when neighbors walk by all they can talk about is how much better the place looks. this, in turn, inspires them to make improvements to their places, or help to pick up a piece of trash in the community.

One neighbor asked me flat out, "why did you choose this neighborhood to live in?" I told him what I tell everyone, a neighborhood is what you make it. Simple as that. And mine is getting better every day.

This local real estate market is tough for those not making 6 figures. I would recommend to all to take a chance and step outside your comfort zone. You will be pleasantly surprised.

James Gielow
What are the neighbors like? why don't you go at night to 92113 to see what your neighbors are like?

I will tell you one thing, many years ago when I worked at Bank of America in Barrio Logan as a teller, the bank would close at 4pm. During the day, I would see some nice, hard working people, but at night?

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516
At some point, you have to do your own recon and knock on the doors yourself to find out....