Market Conditions in 10032>Question Details

Paulette Sch…, Home Seller in New York, NY

We sold our place in NY & moved to FL but since then my uncle who passed away has left us his coop on Haven Avenue near Columbia Presbyterian

Asked by Paulette Schroeder, New York, NY Sun Feb 3, 2013

hospital in manhattan. What's a good time of year to put it on the market? Some people have said now is not good because its too cold out & people wont come out to look at it. Other people have said that the summertime is not good because people are away on vacation.

Answers

14
Hi Paulette,

How are you? I hope you're doing well. With that sunny Florida weather down there I'm sure you're not missing the snowflakes that fell here in NYC today, lol

My condolences on the passing of your Uncle. It sounds like his apartment is in a great location and that's what it's about here in NYC... location, location, location. Everybody you speak to will have a different opinion about market trends but not everybody's two cents is valuable. I recently had a customer put in an offer for an apartment that I had taken her to see when it was 20 degrees outside and raining so there's really no time like the present to start marketing your apartment.

I would be happy to list the apartment for you and set everything up so you won't be inconvenienced with having to travel to NY. Please feel free to reach out to me at any time :-)

Looking forward,

Christine Gordon
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Cell: 917.881.2924
Fax: 347.328.9352
Apartment updates available at http://www.christinegordon.postlets.com
"Home is where the heart is."
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 3, 2013
Spring is a great time to put your property on the market and the early fall. This is true that now the market slowed down, though there are still lots of buyers looking and the lowest supply in 15 years.
I would be happy to help.

Elena Ravich
Rakita Realty
646 593 7207
elena@rakitarealty.com
March and September are good times for this area. The spring people are out looking, September through December a lot buying takes place.

If I acan be of further help, please contact me@:

Ella Chavers
Douglas Elliman
echavers@elliman.com
Hi Paulette,

In my 12 years as a broker in Manhattan, I have always found winter to be the busiest selling season. Our Spring begins early here. Bonuses are given out the beginning of the year so many buyers have cash for down payments. Unlike most markets where they primarily sell houses and curb appeal is so important most houses look better in the spring because the front lawns are in full bloom.

As others agents mentioned we have an inventory shortage. In fact, I received an invitation from another broker for an event here in Manhattan this week that will have agents from the "Burbs" Westchester and Long Island discussing heir communities including commute times, average home prices, real estate taxes, schools and lots more.

The idea is to bring our clients thinking of moving to towns in Westchester and Long Island because inventory levels in Manhattan are at an all-time low. So we need people to move!!

I strongly suggest you contact Nick Rafello, S.V.P. Associate Broker, The Corcoran Group who answered below. He specializes in Washington Heights and his team is number one in Upper Manhattan. You couldn't be in better hands.

Good Luck.
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
Hello Paulette. Right now is the perfect time to market your property for sale. Serious people will always come out to view a good property no matter what season.

There are things needed and you may or may not have them readily available. Those would be the Offering Plan and the building's Financials. These are important because it is customary to send the documents to the customers Attorney so he can do his due diligence. If you don't have these documents, they will need to be obtained through the buildings managing agent.

One nice thing is electronic signatures are now legal in New York and would make signing for exclusive representation a pice of cake.

The company I work with has tremendous marketing reach. If you are interested to know what Coops are selling for in the building and neighborhood, please feel free to contact me for a no obligation comparable market report and consultation. Thank you and good luck.

Joseph C. Hastings
NYS licensed Broker Associate
Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Cell: 1-917-579-1502
Paulette,

Nothing is all good and nothing is all bad. Need the apartment sold? Put it on the market.

Need a good Realtor in the area to handle it? I will be happy to refer you to some great Realtors.

Either way, best of luck...list it NOW!

Gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
631-425-6150
If you are ready to sell and need to sell, why not list now and avoid the additional springtime competition...
The best time of the year would be April-July or so, it is the busiest time of the year for real estate and you will be able to sell it for more money as price is predicted to rise exponentially during this upcoming spring/summer season.

Nicole Sleighter
Citi Habitats
nsleighter@citihabitats.com
724.880.2274
Hello Paulette,

I live in Washington Heofhts, and know Haven Avenue well. Inventory is low across the city, and I'm seeing more buyers now than I have in some time. I would advise listing it sooner than later at a price that speaks to the condition and what the compatibles say. Lending rates are still in an attractive place for most first-time buyers.

Matthew Tully
RE/MAX Midtown
Mtully@remaxnyc.com
610.310.0051
Hello Paulette,

Why don't you give me a call or email me to discuss more?

--
Nicolas Puygrenier ǀ Licensed Real Estate Broker
Mona Lisa Real Estate Group LLC
419 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10003
Telephone: 917 499 1917
Email: nicolas.puygrenier@monalisanyc.com
My impression is that now there is so little supply of apartments for sale - they get sold quickly, sometimes in weeks. I see 40-50 people coming to open houses and competing with each other. Of course that depends on the area and the apartment itself.

In the spring and summer there are usually more choices, so buyers can pick and chose more...
Paulette,

My specialty is Washington Heights, where Haven Ave is. I also live here as well. I'd be glad to discuss all options with you.

Nick Rafello, S.V.P.
Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
R team - Rafello Rosenbloom & Robertson
212-444-7852
646-221-8321
nrafello@corcoran.com
http://www.corcoran.com/nrafello

#1 Upper Manhattan Team

"R" you sold yet?
You'll never put it on the market if you ask anymore people. The spring market is always best but NYC is all about supply and demand. Avoid too many cooks in the kitchen and contact a broker for their advice. I work closely with Kevin McWililliams from Living NY on 35th St, his cell is 914.497.6753. Good luck!

Christopher Pagli
914.406.9023
the right time to put the property on the market is when you are ready. People look for apartments at all times. That having been said, if it's a large apartment, i.e. 2 bedroom and up, then typically those purchasers want to buy based on the school year. This way their child can start in September in the zoned school.