Market Conditions in Raleigh>Question Details

dimauroj, Both Buyer and Seller in Raleigh, NC

We're may be moving to the Raleigh area later this year and would need to sell our home in CT. Are there benefits to using the same realtor for both?

Asked by dimauroj, Raleigh, NC Fri Jan 11, 2013

olsonj0411’s answer
A realtor in CT won't know the Raleigh area, and vice versus. I would get two different agents. You want an agent in CT that knows the home market and knows a fair price to ask for your house so that you get a good price and it doesn't languish on the market. You want an agent in Raleigh who lives there and knows the market to help you find the kind of home you want in the right neighborhood for a fair price. Agents often have particular areas of a city and even neighborhoods that they work with and their knowledge may not translate well to other areas or neighborhoods where homes may be worth a lot more or a lot less than their own area. Good luck!
Your Realtor in CT can help you with a referral of an agent here because the practive of real estate is different in each state. The other alternative is to review the credentials of agents online and look for a good fit with your goals and needs. Then make a few calls, interview the agents, etc.

Happy House Hunting!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2013
Hi Dimauroj, That Realtor would have to have a license in both states in order to operate in both states. If that is not the case, your agent could refer you to another agent. If you need any help finding a Realtor in another state, I will be happy to help.
In addition to the answers below I'd add that matters most is the individual agent, their skills, knowledge and experience. One who knows the ins and outs of the real estate transaction, one who knows what the pitfalls are and has the resources to help you. If you are just starting your search you can visit where you can set up Custom Searches, view Area Guides, Neighborhood Video Tours and more.
Margaret Moore
Triangle & Coast Realty
I think the basic answer to your question has been answered. Connecticut is not a reciprocal state with North Carolina and therefore, unless you just happened upon someone who maintains active licenses in both states, it's not feesible. I have to ask where in CT. you are only because I do have a sister who IS licensed there. She is located in the Madison area but her company has offices across the state and I would be more than happy to get you in touch with her if it would help.

As far as finding a Realtor here, there are many exceptional Realtors in the Triangle area and it's just a matter of selecting one that you can connect with. I personally would love to help you find a home here and invite you to check out my website at . You'll find all kinds of links to information pertaining to the area plus an IDX link which will allow you to search for 'active' homes in this area. I grew up on Long Island, right across the sound from Connecticut and while with IBM, was transferred 6 times among 5 different states, so fully understand what a major move means to people.

Thanks again for your question!!
Unless he/she is licensed in both CT and NC and knows both markets well, one Realtor would not be able to help you sell your home in CT and find a new home in the Raleigh area. I am happy to help you with the purchase of a new home in the Raleigh area and can also help you find a competent Realtor in CT through my professional network. For more information, please contact me at

Karen Johnson
RE/MAX United
Hi Dimauro,

I am from CT and still have contacts there if you need a Realtor, but you'll need an agent licensed in NC once you get to Raleigh. I've been here 25 years and can provide you access to an extensive portfolio of the many homes I have worked on in the area and now help other like yourself buy and sell. I can provide information on the many problems homeowners have had over the years, what to look for and how to avoid problems in the future and find a great home.

If this interests you contact me anytime for an interview or appointment. Thanks and have a great day.
You will more than likely use two different agents simply because the agent must be licensed in the state where the property is located and its always good that they know the area as well. Feel free to give me a call I service the Raleigh area and not only I can help with your relocation, I also know some great listing agents in the Connecticut area that I can refer you to. You may reach me directly at (919) 880-1914.
In most cases, you cannot use the exact same Realtor for both transactions, because a Realtor must be actively licensed in both states in order to transact real estate sales, and CT Realtors are not commonly licensed in NC as well. (VA & NC, or SC & NC would be an entirely different situation).

Most major real estate firms have partner firms in other states, or are part of national relocation networks, so you CAN work with the same real estate COMPANY, just maybe not the same Realtor. For example, I have been doing inbound and outbound relocation for a decade, and I can assist clients with the sale of their home in another state, or with locating a new home in another state, through our national network of real estate partner firms. I keep up with their needs and make sure they're getting the assistance they need through regular check-ins with the out-of-state agent who is working with them as a result of my referral.

I would be happy to talk more about your plans and how I can help you as you make this exciting transition! Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with questions or for advice...I'm always here to help!

Good Luck, and we'll look forward to having you in Raleigh soon! :)
Good afternoon!

Thanks for your question. It is not feasibly possible to use the same realtor for both Raleigh, NC and your home in CT. There is a benefit however to letting one of your realtors (typically on the buyer side) help you in finding your realtor on the selling side. There's no cost involved to you to take advantage of that resource but the benefit is that your buyer agent A) knows the right questions to ask of the potential seller's agent and can save you time in interviewing potential realtors and B) can stay in the loop with the selling side realtor as it should all be a cohesive team of professionals helping you. For example, let's pretend that the house isn't getting the number of showings that you (or your realtor) feels it should get, that listing agent can also discuss with another realtor different marketing strategies that have worked for him/her that perhaps the first realtor hadn't thought of. I'm a firm believer that two heads are better than one and if it helps you reach your goals faster, it's worth it. Again, referrals to other areas aren't going to cost you anything but have the potential to benefit you greatly!

I would be honored to sit down with you (via phone or in person) and put together a strategic game plan for your move. I've done cross country moves personally as well as professionally and recognize many of the challenges you may face. I also have quite a large network of highly trained realtors that I would be happy to introduce you to. Good luck to you!

Susan Crawford-Willis
Broker in Charge
Triangle Home Crew Realty, LLC
A Realtor would have to a member of the local MLS, as well as familiar with the territory and the local codes and regulations; in other words; No.

You should find two Realtors that you communicate well with and like.
You would not use the same Realtor for both transactions. The CT Realtor is unlikely to be licensed in NC and vice versa.
Good Morning Dimauroj
Cannot use the same realtor for a home in a different state unless the realtor is licensed in both states. We can certainly refer you to an excellent realtor in CT and them coordinate the sale of your home and purchase of another. It would be my pleasure to assist you with all of your real estate needs.
Thanks and have a great day.