A T, Home Buyer in New York, NY

We'd like to buy a home in Greater Schenectady (NY)area in 2009. What will the market conditions be like?

Asked by A T, New York, NY Wed Jan 23, 2008

Will it be a buyers market or sellers? Can anyone give us any tips on first -time home buying in that area?

Answers

3
Excellent - Glad to see that you are thinking of buying a Home! In 2009 it is hard to tell what kind of market it will be but regardless, if the timing is right for you and you believe you have been educated on the home buying process then ANYTIME is a good time to buy! I specialize in the Greater Schenectady Area and have lived here all of my life. If you would like any of my free reports on how to buy a home or need information about schools or a specific area in Greater Schenectady please do not hesitate to contact me direct @ (518) 514-8830. I would love to help you with any or all of your home buying needs.
If you are looking in the city of Schenectady, property values are fairly stable at this time. In fact the prices in Schenectady are lower than other urban areas in the Capital District. Problem in Schenectady is the taxes. They are disproportinatelly higher than the property value so you usually get more house for the money but your payments will be a bit higher because of the tax bite. If you are looking in the suburban areas, you can find stable value in Rotterdam and Scotia/Glenville areas. Niskayuna, the highest priced suburb is experiencing some loss in value although the average price is much higher. Still worth looking at if you can afford the price. Hope this helps. I am a full service associate broker with 23 years of experience working for Weichert/Northeast. If I can be of any further assistance, feel free to get in touch.
Paula Gaies
pgaies@weichertne.com
Definitely a "Buyer's Market".....Try contacting Advantage Realty located in Saratoga, NY and ask for Jesse Lena. He is a real "square shooter" that knows both the real estate and mortgage markets and has extensive experience in the capital district.
Jesse Lena
Advantage Realty
518-369-2730