Market Conditions in Helena>Question Details

Listle, Home Seller in Helena, AL

We currently have two homes to be sold. One is a smaller 3 BR, 2 BA home in Helena and the other is a larger 3 BR, 2 1/2 BA home in Hoover. Both

Asked by Listle, Helena, AL Tue Mar 23, 2010

are existing homes with updates & renovations. With the current housing market, which house should be sold this year when the updates are complete? We will be living in the other house for the next year or so until we find a new home with land to move to permanently.

Helena is one of the most popular towns in Shelby Co. With great schools, low crime, community activities, Helena is a very desirable area. I recommend living in the home with the less renovations needed until the other is ready to place on the market. I will be happy to view, make recommendations in person and do the comps for you. The secret is to price it right. I know and love Helena! Please feel free to contact me @ 205-718-3981.
Oops, sorry for typo: Helena...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2012
Listle, Helan is always HOT! Very desired schools! We can help you unload this one faster and can sell it as is if you wish to cash investor! No reason not to consider this time of year with buyers wanting best investments Every day!!!!!!! Lets do it! Then we sell Hoover for you and find you Best deal of the earth to retire with!! I can make this happen for you quick and easy! Call me! I can be there in 10 minutes.
Best Regards!
Susan Hogg 205-533-4810
Broker / A Reality Realty
The market is a moving target right now. I would not classify either Hoover or Helena as "good" markets. Most Over The Mountain areas are suffering from a disproportionate ratio of supply & demand. I do agree with the observation about the recent increase in available inventory. In the last 60 days Hoover's inventory has increased 25%, Helena/Pelham's 10% and overall MLS inventory 20%. A huge number of new listings have come on the market in the last 60 days with most of those in the last 30 days. This will do nothing but force prices down, not up, despite new construction increases. New construction is a different product from existing re-sales.

Homes are still selling in both these markets, albeit at lower numbers, but Helena/Pelham is performing better than Hoover in ratio of sales to listing inventory. Many factors would influence the decision of which property to sell this year. Without having specifics its hard to make a recommendation but in general, if you had to sell today, Helena would be the one.

I do not see a price increase coming anytime soon. For the last 24 months, in any model you look at including 3,6 or 12 months revolving sales, both Hoover and Helena/Pelham have seen a drop in the average sales price and they continue to drop through the first quarter this year. There will be no price increases until inventory levels match closer to demand levels. Here's hoping that happens soon because it will help us all.

Web Reference:
Both areas are still very good markets. I would probably live in the one that needed the least amount of renovations to cut down on the stress of living in it while the work is being completed. Market trend projections are pointing toward price increases later in the year but we are already seeing new construction prices increase. Existing homes are holding steady. However, with the recent influx of listings in the Bham MLS system it is going to continue to be a buyers market until we reduce the inventory. My best advice is to make the house look better than all the other homes in it's market without having to overprice it.
Please feel free to contact me if I can assist in any way.
Web Reference:
By the way, if you need a real estate agent to help you sell your home & assist you with finding a permanent home feel free to contact me & I can refer you to an excellent RE./MAX agent in your area to work with.
There is probably more of a market for a home with 3 Brs 2.5 Baths than a smaller one with just 3 Brs 2 Baths. Most likely the larger home will sell for more money & you'll have less overhead during the next year while you search for your permanent home. Once you are ready to move you can either sell the smaller home or rent it out & keep it as an investment property until the market improves..