Jack, Other/Just Looking in Arlington, VA

We are trying to determine the fair market value of 4615 N. 36th st. in Arlington, VA 22207 in 1996

Asked by Jack, Arlington, VA Sun Apr 4, 2010

Answers

7
If you can share the condition of the property, # of bedrooms/baths at that time it would be a big help. When those obvious parameters are out of the way alot of the mystery is revealed. The local mls MRIS has some data that dates back around that time, but some of it is guess work which will be pulled from tax records. I've been selling houses 22207 since '95. I'd be excited to help you with this project.
You've gotten lots of answers... and like everyone else, I am trying to put your question into context. Sometimes if we understand the context we can better answer your question.
Jack

Please please please let us all know why this information could possibly matter?

If this property sold in 1996 and there is mention of it in the Arlington County land records you would have a historical fair market value. You could research what similar properties sold for in 1996 and come up with a suggested "listing price." But to determine "fair market value" for a property...and by that I mean what a property would actually sell for...you need a willing seller and a willing, financially qualified buyer...in addition to the property itself. In this instance it sounds like there was no buyer and no seller in 1996 ...and now...no property.

Maybe I'm missing something...what information are you really seeking?

Wishing you the best,

Deborah Hrouda
Long & Foster Realtors
202.363.1800
Web Reference: http://metroDCmaison.con
Probably about $525,000-$540,000. It's really difficult to tell, though, without more information on the property. I checked MRIS and the tax records, but didn't get a good enough sense of the property that was there before--before it was bought and torn down for the new construction. I did see the specs: 3 bed/3 bath, built in 1932.

And searching old records, MRIS for some reason doesn't go back quite that far. The tax records do, so long as there haven't been more than 3 sales on a property since then.

Still, searching for nearby 3-4 bedrooms, built between 1925 and 1940, I came up with the following solds and withdrawns:

4722 32nd St. $565,000 November 1998
4417 Dittmar $429,000 December 2001
4621 37th St. $475,000 (withdrawn) March 2001
4711 26th St. $450,000 May 1991
4617 37th St. $495,000 November 1989

And with slightly broader parameters
4614 33rd St. $570,000 April 1996

You can see the wide range.

Also, as I noted above, the house that was there in 1996 was torn down for the new construction going up there now.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
HI,
I am curious to know why in 1996. I can look up comparables for that year for you. Send me an email at jenb@jenbsells.com with your contact information and I will send over a report today.
Web Reference: http://www.jenbsells.com
Hi Jack,

Are you buying it or selling it? The best way to determine the value is to search the comparable solds, under contract and active properties in MLS. You want to also look at the seller subsidies and find out what the trend is for the neighborhood and also if there are other offers on the property. I'm assuming this is for purchase. You also want to know if it's a short sale.
Confer with the buyer agent who will provide you all the data in order for your submit a sales offer. Many factors come into play in order to comp a home for sale or purchase.

Hire an appraiser cost be approx. $400 however your mortgage broker can notify you of these guidelines based on your lender .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com