Market Conditions in 10036>Question Details

Kamesha, Renter in 10036

This is my first apartment. When I first moved in, i was told that my rent will not increase but about $5-$10.?

Asked by Kamesha, 10036 Wed May 23, 2012

Answers

3
Joseph C. Hastings’ answer
Hi Kamwsha. Check your lease to see if you are rent stabilized or free market rent. If you are stabilized the increase can only be the percentage allowed by the rent stabilization board. If you feel something is going on, perhaps this can help:

http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/attygenguide.html

Chck the links under RENT. There are a bunch of options and I would think you can get a better grip on your situation after a little research. Good luck.
Review your lease and see what it states, if anything regarding rental increases; unfortuantely unless something is in writing, oral information is weak....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
Hi Kamesha,

I wish I had better news for you. But unfortunately, unless your lease is rent-stabilized, the landlord can raise the rent as much as he or she sees fit.

Perhaps you could try to negotiate with them? If you've been a good tenant, they may be willing to negotiate your rent in an effort to reduce turnover/vacancy.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions, or ultimately decide to move! I would love to lend my expertise.

Alex

Alex Aberle
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Citi Habitats
114 Perry Street
New York, NY 10014

C. 917.691.9093
O. 212.400.2500
E. aaberle@citihabitats.com