nutty, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

Thinking about buying in Tudor City. Any advice re the neighborhood/location?

Asked by nutty, New York, NY Sat Jun 25, 2011

Answers

8
Thanks all. We have been looking in Murray Hill for about 4 months. One thing I have learned is that there are trade offs for everything! The apartment we are now considering in Tudor City is a small 2 bedroom that is completely renovated down to the doorknobs! Bath and a half. Nice building. Tradeoff is that its on the 3rd floor, no real view, no roof deck - but close to the park and we like the neighborhood. We've been told that Tudor City presents good values. We'll probably make an offer and see what happens. Thanks.
Hello Professor. I've anways liked Tudor City. It's nestled away in beautiful pre-war buildings and there is green space as well. You might even get an apartment with water views. I would concur with colleagues that refer to small-ish apartment sizes. Consequently, it is priced very well for what you get. Good ;uck.
If space is a priority for you, then you may want to re-think these ubber tiny units.

You want to ask youself why you are limiting yourself to just Tudor City. It is no doubt a charming area but super tiny apartments. I would consider broadening up your search to see what else you can get for your hard earned money.

You now have the opportunity to search approximately 20,000 exclusive listings through my website-- representing the entire database of residential listings available through the membership of the Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY).

These are the most accurate listings you can find in NY because they come from the brokers themselves; there is no bait and switch, no duplicates, and no opens; and are updated every hour.
Thanks all. Very helpful!
Nutty,
I have shown units in Tudor City. There are pluses and minuses. It is a bit of a hike to the subway because of how far east it is. On the other hand, it is reasonably priced. The buildings tend to have small units and the kitchens are particularly small and against one wall as opposed to enclosed. Some units that hit the market have not been renovated in a very long time. The studios in particular are very small. There is only one building, the last built, to have rooms that are a little bigger. Many residents like the sense of community and do not see it as isolated. There is that vacant lot between one building and the river, and there is always the possibility that the river view units could get their view blocked if something tall goes up. But overall, very good value. I would not go by the advice below that you can always rent it out if you want. These are co-ops. Though there is the ability to rent the units out, I know they do charge a sizable fee for the priviledge of permission to do that. In fact, they get a decent amount of revenue from those charges

Hope this helps.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
Keep in mind opinions are often subjective, therefore If unfamilar with the area, do take the time and revisit, possibly chat with locals, drive around, etc., then make a determination, will the location meet your needs...
Hi, you can visit http://www.spotcrime.com and http://www.homefair.com for detailed crime stats, demographics etc.

Chris
The apartments are not very large (subjective) but it' is a great area. If you decide to move you can hold on to the property as an investment property and rent it out. It is especially great because of it's proximity to the UN.

Carolyn Chappelle
Bond New York
347 777-8674