Jim, Other/Just Looking in California

There are new housing starts in Rock Springs WY around $250K, but can the salaries support these prices?

Asked by Jim, California Sat Mar 29, 2008

Answers

3
I absolutely believe that we have the salaries to support it, the new construction is selling steadily at 250,000 + higher. It's not just the oilfield that pays our salaries, although that has been a main source of income in the past, it is also mines and trona and other industries that help Rock Springs to thrive and that continue our high standard of living. This is a great place to live and I love living here and i appreciate everything that southwestern Wyoming has to offer!
I have to say that with the oilfield yes!
There are several small towns of Wyoming that are supporting these prices. Retirees seem to be seriously considering Wyoming due to the proximity to National parks, tax advantages (incl. low property and sales tax, no income or small business tax too) low crie rates and availability to health care. Wyoming schools have a very good reputation and receive huge funding from large energy companies. The nostalgia of the open West and roaming wildlife doesn't hurt either. Other types of buyers are those that are buying land NOW with low interest rates in hopes of retiring here much later down the road, and of course the Euro is bringing more inquiries too. Coming from the Scottsdale, Arizona market where Canadians were gathering up the desert - I see a difference here. The Europeans like the rockies - and when they can get it for 50% off due to the conversion rate - why not buy in a remote area? Here in Cody, prices have been rising steadily and construcion of homes is steady as well. There is no over-supply and rentals aren't very easy to come by either. To answer your question, I don't think the salaries support it currently, but as with any area's growth - all in due time!