Patrick Adams, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

The rental amounts seem high in the DFW area compared to home sale amounts, the economics seem off, whats with the market. I'm moving from

Asked by Patrick Adams, Sacramento, CA Tue Aug 2, 2011

Sacramento Moving from Sacramento and looking to make a decision to buy or rent. Rent to get to know area then buy. Rental amounts seem high for the price of homes in the area. Should be cheaper to rent than buy...

We are experiencing the highest demand for residential rentals that I can recall in DFW. Timing is everything. A few years ago, rentals were not the 'thing'. Now, too many people starting over and we can't keep the supply high enough. It's economics 101 - supply and demand. What should be in your mind is not what IS in DFW at the moment. And, I don't expect things to turn around again for several more years. One piece of unsolicited advice...pick the house you want and make them an offer. If the owner wants to keep the home and move back in at a later date, they may accept an offer, even if not the full rental amount they listed the house for. It's all negotiable. Try renting for a longer period. That can bring the rent down, too, in some cases. I've had good luck with my clients with both of those strategies.
Have a blessed day!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 2, 2011
In very high priced real estate markets such as California and New York, it generally is cheaper to rent than to buy. But in other lower priced markets such as Dallas/Ft. Worth, it's not the case. House prices in the Dallas area are still lower than compared to some other larger metroplexes. Dallas has also seen a huge influx of population in the last few years, strong job prospects, affordable housing, standard and cost of living, weather etc. For all those reasons rents have been increasing steadily as have been home prices. There are many investors also who are grabbing single family homes and renting them out - this has also led to increase in both home prices and rents...

I am in Flower Mound and work a large area. The ideas from the agent in Amarillo might work there, although they will not in the DFW area.

David Eudy
RE/MAX DFW Associates

If you are going to stay for 5 years of more then I would consider looking for a place to buy with the interest rates at the level they currently hold. Although inventory is low which tends to make it a seller's market so you need to be ready to pull the trigger when you like one.

The rental market is completely fluid and if you find a property that has been on the market for more than 45 days, take a close look as there must be something amiss. These house lease very quickly.

Reach out to me if you would like some phone conversations or personal assistance.

Semper Fidelis,

Have you checked the market conditions since August? Are you still planning on moving? Let me know if I can be any assistance.
I just authored a blog about this the other day…

DIRECT LINK : Dallas homes for rent

If you need assistance contact my office I represent many families leasing homes in DFW area

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
Everyone is right on this one. Simply put, the demand for home leases is higher than the demand for home sales. Also, Texas does not have rent control on rent increases, unlike California.
Feel free to contact me with any other questions.
Web Reference:
It has been much harder to obtain a morgage and with so many people needing homes due to their own forclosure, rents have gone sky high.. It is less expensive to buy a home now which is wonderful for thoes who qualfiy. I would be happy to help you find a home in an area that suits your needs. Please feel free to call or email me

Christine Schwirtz
United Real Estate
Office 940 498 1265
Cell 214 718 7704
Rents have increased in DFW as it has become harder for a lot of people to qualify for a mortgage. As a result, more people are renting and with the higher demand, higher rents. In my opinion, buying is generally always preferable to renting. Let me know if I can assist.

Jack Gillis, M.B.A., J.D.
Jack Gillis Realty Advisors
Nathan Grace Real Estate, Broker
5619 Dyer Street | Suite 100
Dallas, TX 75206
Cell: 214.718.4910