Market Conditions in 32413>Question Details

Richard Dick…, Both Buyer and Seller in Dallas, TX

Smarter to build on our Seacrest Beach lot or buy an existing home and sell it? Timing over next year?

Asked by Richard Dickerman, Dallas, TX Mon Oct 1, 2007

How big of a house are you going to build? The average cost per sqft to build in Seacrest Beach at the moment is $145 per sqft. It will be cheaper to build than buy an existing home unless you get a deal on a short sale. Not many of those left. If your lot was by the pool or adjacent to 30a then you stand to make good money when you sell it. If your lot is closer to the back of Seacrest Beach you will still make a little money buy building. I wrote an article that breaks down the prices of the lots and houses in the different areas of Seacrest Beach. This may be helpful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2013
I was just curious whar you did with your lot? the market is slowly heating up. Properties are in short supply
Peter Mohylsky
Keller Williams Prefered
Hi Richard,
I specialize along the 30-A corridor which of course includes Seacrest Beach. Currently the range to build a home in this area will run you between $150.-225. per square foot. Depends also on just how "nice" you want to finish it out.
Average home currently for sale in Seacrest Beach community is $263. per square foot.
We have seen a sizeable increase in purchases in the past 6 months. Things are looking up!
Depending on the price you want for your lot, if at market value, it will sell.
If you buy an existing home you would need to consider holding it for at least two years unless you buy it under market value. Good luck!
Hi Richard...
I do not see any real market improvement over the next year in our area...The one answer was correct about higher building costs, but land is also at an all time low...On the other hand, existing homes are the lowest in years as well...It is a catch 22 really, and you probably won't go wrong either way in the long run...It mainly depends on your urgency to make something happen, and if your "perfect home" is already out there somewhere just waiting for you...:)
I would love to show you what's available...Hope to hear from you!
All my best,
Broker Assc., Latitudes Realty

The best thing for you to do is have someone like me send you the sold properties as well as the active properties in Seacrest Beach. This way you can see if there is any property you would like to buy at the right price. You should get in touch with at least 2 builders and see what they will do for you. Some builders need the work so they may give you a good deal. Then again you might be interested in building "green" so your insurance will be lower, energy efficiency, durability, with stand higher winds, and etc. I can recommend a "green" builder.

The way I look at things educating you on the market is the best way to make you more comfortable in your decision. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Have a Blessed Day!

Nancy Young, Realtor/CDPE
Prudential Shimmerings Sands Realty
Interesting seeing this question from three years ago. Please tell us what you did?

My office is in the front part of Seacrest Beach, and I'm very familiar with it. There are some good prices here and there, but if you are sitting on a lot today, in most cases, you can build new for less, and have a stronger built home, since minimum building requirements have improved strength of building. That hasn't always been true, especially when demand for contractors was at its peak back in 2006.
Supply and demand control the real estate market. There is much more supply than demand so we have a buyers market which is exactly what you want. You will be able to buy much more house for much less money. I welcome and would apprecite the opportunity to work with you.
Buddy King
Coldwell Banker United, Realtors
Broker Associate
Previews Property Specialist
current sales in the Seacrest Beach are around $280 per sq. ft. in the community and approx: $1,000 per sq. ft. on the beach. You can build a maverick home and set yourself apart from the rest for around $300 per. sq. ft. in the Community you will spend around $400-600 dollars per sq. ft. to build on the beach So you can purchase a brand new 2008 home on the Beach with over 6,267 sq.ft. for $6,364,000; or build it for around 2.7 Mil. see link below. If you own the dirt usually it is better to build and more cost effective; along with the housing market housing construction cost have decreased. If you would like me to put you in contact with my builders please let me know.

Hi Richard,
In the Seacrest Beach area and in this market I think you can buy more home at a price per square foot that is quite a bit less than what you can build one for. Current building codes and hurricane in particular have really added to building costs. As you probably know building in Seacrest Beach is expensive.

Kind regards, Capt. Mike Foate- By Land or By Sea!
Prudential Shimmering Sands Realty, Inc.
Web Reference:
It really depends on your goals; if you plan to invest and hold for the future... go straight ahead.
Now, if you have some cash and/or good credit I will suggest to find a Builder, which may be able to create the house of your dream for 70/90 dollars per square feet; that of course if your beach lot is located in an area of interest where the Rent can cover your mortgage.
On the other end you can get some real bargain on existing houses due to the high inventory.
Don't forget to consider flood and other insurance duties, and sit on a house for sale for months.
Don't take someone else headeck, build a brand new house, more attractive to prospect renters.