Market Conditions in Boise>Question Details

Sharon Dudley, Home Buyer in Commercial Circle In...

Should I go into real estate or teaching in boise?

Asked by Sharon Dudley, Commercial Circle Industrial P, Springfield, OH Mon Sep 16, 2013

Relocating in 2014 to boise, former realtor / new home sales in vegas...now teaching elementary school. Considering getting back into real estate but hesitant to give up my meager earnings for the risk of sales... What do y'all think? I really enjoyed working in new home sales!

Answers

8
The real estate market in Boise is smoking HOT, it would be a great time and place to jump back into real estate if that is what you are inclined to do. Best of luck to you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 26, 2013
Meager earning and the opporunity to change lives or being one in the sea of smiling real estate faces.
Only you know which choice is best for you.

PS: 80% or real estate professionals share in your meager earnings description.
Would you go into new home sales in Boise? If not, consider that as a Realtor, you'll have to market yourself and find your own clients. It'll be a different experience than new home sales, but if you're prepared for the differences and challenges, do it.
Sharon,

As other people have stated, you can do what you are passionate about or you can see if you can do both. The real estate market here in the area has definitely changed over the last year or so. If you want great support and training, please consider Keller Williams Boise. The ongoing training and support is great.

If you want to know more, let me know.
Do what you LOVE and LOVE what you do. If you decide to go into Real Estate - Silvercreek Realty Group is AMAZING!!
Hi Sharon!

Do you love teaching?
I do believe you need to love it to remain in that field.
Do you love BENEFITS and a STEADY check? (do you NEED benefits & a steady check, or do you have another source of income?)
Can you live (financially and emotionally) with that "risk" of unknown income that commissioned sales brings?

Do you like the excitement of never knowing what tomorrow may bring, or does that make you uncomfortable?
Do you prefer the comfort of a steady/predictable schedule with days off that you can count on actually having?
There is rarely a "day off" with real estate - especially in this modern age with cell phones/smart phones/ the internet/ ipads, etc, etc - people want immediate responses and don't care if you're out to dinner or at the movies on a Saturday night, or it's 9PM on Sunday!!!!

So many rewards and plus's with each.

I taught school for 5 years when I graduated college (a million years ago).
I really enjoyed it at the time. Then, I was a stay-at-home mom for a number of years......and have been a Realtor for 28 years.
I did enjoy the flexibility of making my own schedule over the years - being my own "boss", but I also had my husband's income to fall back on. My son's little league games could take priority over work, and if my income was impacted in some way, it was ok, as my son did, and could, come first.

Now that I count on real estate for my sole income - I admit there are days when I long for that steady (albeit not was exciting or potentially high ) income........and especially at my "stage in life" (that means I am old!!) - benefits. My health insurance costs me $732 a month.............there are days when I think how my life would have been had I returned to teaching rather than enter real estate. (I have also been heard saying I can't "wait to turn 65" one day - haha - so that I can get medicare and lower that $732, which will probably increase yet again in Dec!!).

Anyway - I love what I do - thank goodness!!!.........that's what it all comes down to............and I wouldn't change the path I took in life, even if I could go back and do it over again!
Lots of highs and lows with real estate, but it has worked for me.

Good luck to you........analyze you needs and preferences.............make sure you can sleep at night if you have a sale that is about to implode........you need to be able to shrug it off and move on.......not always so easy to do.

Only YOU know you!

Best wishes!

ps..... trying to get into RE as a part timer in a brand new area (you said you were relocating) might sound nice, but may not be so easy to do. For the time being, imo, I'd pick one direction and concentrate on that.
As my inspirational late Aunt did, you can do both! She was a teacher Full Time and part time but successful Realtor®. Good Luck!
So glad to read this after reading the above post. I'm a full time educator and want to work RE part time.
Flag Tue Dec 31, 2013
Really should decide on which you are more passionate about. I've been a UOP facility member and a Real Estate agent. Do you enjoy helping people grow intellectually with education? Or do you like to help families grow their future? Only you know that answer 8=)

Jerry Hinshaw

West USA Realty Idaho

(208) 572-0169

hinshawpropertyservices@gmail.com

http://www.hinshawpropertyservices.com/