Trulia Sacra…, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

Sacramento's suburban growth outpaced 'non-existant' urban growth- do you agree?

Asked by Trulia Sacramento, Sacramento, CA Thu Oct 11, 2012

Do you Sacramento locals agree with Trulia's recent findings? Is this a trend that is here to stay? Or will the urban growth have a comeback?

Check out the rest of our Urban vs Suburban Growth findings here:
http://trends.truliablog.com/2012/10/even-after-the-housing-…

Answers

2
I would agree. I just do not believe, the Sacramento economy, which is highly dependent on government (state, agencies, county, city, etc.), is going to come roaring back soon. Therefore, an urban revival is unlikely. Most people would continue to prefer to live in suburban areas as mentioned by Jim.
Jed,
Your Trulia Trends link did not have the statistics for the Sacramento metro, so I will have to take your word for it.
Production builders are still putting up new houses in Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom and El Dorado Hills. In the city center it is more common to see rehabbers working on the existing housing stock rather than creating a lot of new homes.

Getting urban growth to have a strong comeback is as simple and easy as bringing the API scores of city schools up a couple of hundred points and keeping them high for a few years. I predict that will happen the same year that the national debt is fully paid off, the crime rate falls to zero everywhere, and every country in the world is at peace with all of its neighbors and within their own borders.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 11, 2012
Hey Jim,

You can find the data on Sacramento in the last chart of the post. It was posted as an update after there were multiple requests for us to provide the full data set of urban and suburban growth in the 50 largest U.S. metro areas.

Hope that helps clear things up!
-Kim, Community Manager
Flag Thu Oct 11, 2012
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA