Market Conditions in 95051>Question Details

Matt, Home Buyer in 95051

REALTORS- How much do you spend per year on subscriptions to research, data, analysis of market trends, etc.?

Asked by Matt, 95051 Mon Apr 27, 2009

I'd like to get a general idea about how much money the average Realtor spends to gain knowledge and insight into market conditions/trends.

Answers

3
Mark Burns’ answer
Inman is good and many agents have it on their website. I also have The Santa Clara County Real Estate Report on my website which has additional market data in various graph-like formats. There is a lot more that agents use. Many brokers provide their agents with subscription services to county records including maps and financial data. There is the MLS (which costs money too), other MLS access to farther reaching areas. I have a few more database subscription services I pay for myself and SilVAR (Silicon Valley Association of Realtors) has just implemented another system for its members called Clarus MarketMetrics. The amount an agent can spend is almost endless. In he past I have had subscriptions to foreclosure and REO data, demographic data, etc.

Are you interested in being an agent or following up on what your current agent is referring to?
Web Reference: http://www.markburns.com
I spend about $1500 a year for a subscription to Altos Reports which provides me an my clients real estate market data and trends. You can take a look at my market performance page for Santa Clara.

http://www.santaclaraliving.com/statistics/

The great thing about altos is they break up the reports by Zip Code which gives you a more accurate analysis of the area. Most real estate statistics are limited to city or area wide and are not as asccurate.

You can feel free to download the latest report for Santa Clara 95051 for single family or condos. I also write on market trends for Santa Clara on my Blog.
Web Reference: http://santaclaraliving.com
My main source is Inman News, which a subscription is $150 a year. The subscription allows me to receive their very informative "special reports" on trends etc. Through my membership in National Assoc. of Realtors, REBAC, CRS I receive magazines/newsletters as part of my fees which are total about $300 per year.
My membership dues of $540 year in my local MLS provides quarterly reports in depth on our local market sales,changes etc. This is the most statistical out of all of them.
My biggest expense is to my local board of Realtors(RSAR) for $650 per year and that gives me membership in National Assoc. Realtors (NAR), Nevada Assoc. of Realtors (NAR). They provide panels, newsletters, statistics websites etc. All of thos orgainizations have websites where we can do our own research. I spend about $1300 per year for everything.
Additional expenses would be luncheons with speakers and/or continuing education classes which are about $300 per year.