Market Conditions in Chicago>Question Details

idstroup, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

Peak rental season

Asked by idstroup, Chicago, IL Thu Jun 12, 2014

I work for Peoples gas of Chicago, and I am trying to obtain information about peak rental season. What month(s) are the busiest for (1) signing leases and (2) moving in? If you can provide the data, that would be helpful as well.

Isaac Stroup
Corporate Communications
Peoples Gas of Chicago
312-240-7695

Answers

3
Early spring and late summer/early fall are the best times to rent in and around the Loop. As semesters start at local colleges demand increases and it becomes harder to find a place. It depends on the neighborhood/property but the South loop and West Loop both see a significant increase in demand.
April and August are always very busy times.
The peak rental season depends on the type of property that you are renting. For example, if you are renting to students across the street from a university, the peak season will probably be around the time that school starts. In general things slow down a little in the winter months.