Philip Stoet…, Real Estate Pro in Fort Lauderdale, FL

My partner and I are looking to build a log home as in investment in a hot area that offers year round activity and a good second home sellers market.

Asked by Philip Stoetzner, Fort Lauderdale, FL Wed Oct 28, 2009

We are considering the Lincoln/Woodstock NH area. I am a Realtor with Coldwell Banker in Fort Lauderdale but know the New England area very well as I grew up in CT. From what I see, the hotter areas are Loon Mountain NH and Stow VT. Any suggestions from you in the know Realtors?

Answers

8
I would also point you towards Woodstock VT as a great area for second home owner activities.

The two hottest primary home markets are Hanover NH or Burlington VT, both College towns and full of intellectual crackle. Hanover was voted by Money Magazine as one of the top US cities to live. Burlington VT on Lake Champlain is a desirable vibrant city with direct flights to Florida.

I just looked at an incredible investment log cabin yesterday. I would be happy to share more information on it and of course pay you a handsome referral!

My Best,
Celina
Web Reference: http://www.uv-estates.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 10, 2011
Can't comment on Stowe, VT though I like the taxes here in NH better. I feel that there are several "hot spots" in the Lakes & Mountains Region of NH and will gladly work with you on a referral basis to find the right property to site your home. After a loooong slow period, land buyers have awakened as prices have started to get back to reality. "Hot" is a relative term and today, the level of interest feels hot compared to the past 24 months or so. Compared to, say, 2004 the market is tepid, but I interpret your thinking as "long term value."
Since you are looking at it as an investment, I would recommend parcels of 10 acres or more with either a view or privacy or both (rare, but there are lots of buyers looking for this) in low tax towns that are sought after as that will produce the largest set of prospective buyers. Among low tax towns, Meredith, Lincoln, Tuftonboro, Alton, Moultonborough, Center Harbor, Hebron and Bridgewater are a few. As you move into towns with tax rates above, say, $15 the costs of ownership get steeper whereas the aforementioned towns have tax rates ranging from $7 to $12. Some towns in the area will be over $20 per thousand of assessed value. All rates are quoted at 100% valuation. My website has some articles about land in the region and if you drop me an email, I will send you my upcoming updates.
As far as log homes are concerned, these are beautiful and ideally suited for Lakes & Mountain Regions settings. One drawback to log homes is the need for continual maintenance. Buyers are getting savvy about that now. Frankly, log homes do not appeal to all buyers, you will leave a fair portion of them out with that type of offering. Anyway, I suggest that you contact Mike and Julie Hayward at http://www.haywardandcompany.com to get their expertise on the construction side. They build Energy Star Rated log and timberframe homes (a big selling point).
Warm Regards, Chuck Braxton, REALTOR GRI 603/677-2154 cbraxton@metrocast.net
Web Reference: http://www.ChuckBraxton.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 1, 2009
Phillip, Loon Mountain is a fantastic place right now to build, the growth of the ski are contniues at a good pace. Land prices are really affordable right now. The biggest advantage over VT is the closeness to the highway and ease to get to Manchester and Boston. Loon is increasing activities in all seasons and is a great destination for all. With Loon being a central location, from here you have easy access to the Lakes Region and the other great ski areas of the White Mountains and all their attractions.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Several great log Home companies right here in Florida, and from Cedar or Cypress
Once you find the area and property you are looking for you should check out Bitterroot Valley Log & Timber, Inc, they do beautiful work!!! http://www.bvlogandtimber.com
Hi Philip;
There has been a considerable amount of investment in the White Mtns in the past few years by big corporate hospitality / land development companies that have purchased the Grand Hotels in Bretton Woods
Ski area (Twin Mtn.) and Loon in Lincoln. There has also been investment in Cannon Mtn Ski area in Franconia. As a Realtor and owner of Moose Realty of Franconia we are familiar with this market. Our experience is that Lincoln features condo rentals near Loon Mtn and Franconia , Sugar Hill has a busy Home Vacation rental market that is active almost all year long (April & May mud season)
Bethlehem & Twin Mtn have home rental market and a developing condo market near Bretton Woods & Mt. Washington Hotel.
We have managed home rentals in the Franconia / Sugar Hill area since 1999 . These towns have a following and less transient nature than Lincoln.
Please view our latest new construction in Sugar Hill with Lake access in 03586 zip, at 64 Old County Rd
in Sugar Hill . It is a Log Style home .
Best Regards;
Alex Aaron
Broker / Owner
Moose Realty of Franconia LLC
Po 628
Franconia NH 03580
603-616-8531
Hi

The Lincoln area is really ideal as it has become a true 3 season destination area centered around Loon and also close to other ski mountains and attractions. While land prices have not declined that much, there is an ocassional great buy with some scouting. Our family has rented homes there for the Highland Games and there are several log homes in the area. Another option is a post & beam or timber frame home that gives you the look and feel of wood on the inside but is more conventional on the outside. They are built with insulated panels so easy to get an Energy Star rating which is what most of our buyers are looking for. Also reccomend you incorporate as many "green" features as possible as that will give you an edge over the existing housing stock for rental or sale porposes.
Web Reference: http://www.zetlandhomes.com
Hello Phil- Great answer by Chuck below.
One other thing is the appraisal will be a little tougher than a "normal" home. There won't be a lot of sales comps for log homes in the last 6-9 months- wherever you end up building. Appraisals are real tough these days anyways- as you know in Florida- so keep that in mind for your eventual end buyer (assuming you're looking to sell it soon after construction...).
In NH, watch out for the dreaded "View Tax"- which penalizes you for having a nice view of anything. Any if you're trying to market this as a vacation spot, you'll want a place with a nice view and some clearing.
If I can be of any help, please let me know. Thanks and good luck,

Ken L.