Market Conditions in 43017>Question Details

Socal Transp…, Home Buyer in Ohio

Moving to Columbus from Southern Cal. Looking to buy in Muirfield love the quality compared to the more

Asked by Socal Transplant, Ohio Sat Jun 21, 2008

expensive less well built new builts. However weary of the price discrepencies. For example for 3500 sq feet in Muirfield with comparable # of rooms and bathrooms there's a 150K difference. Anyone got advice how not to get burnt when purchasing?

Answers

11
Your best defense against "getting burnt" is to have an experienced Realtor as your Buyer's Agent. There are valid reasons for the difference in the price per sq ft cost, and a Realtor who knows the Muirfield market and its history can explain those reasons and analyze any property that interests you to determine what the price should be.

Your offer should never be based on the listing price anyway - it should always be based on the value as determined by sales comparisons and reproduction costs. There is a wide spectrum of housing in Muirfield, from true custom homes built by top builders to modular homes (yes, there are modular homes in Muirfield). The quality varies widely and so do the prices.

In the central Ohio market, Buyer's Agents are paid by the sellers, so there is no reason to buy a home without being represented by a knowledgeable and competent Realtor to protect your interests.
Web Reference: http://www.pollyshomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 21, 2008
As others have said quality varies in Muirfield. Some are well built, some are not-age of property is irrelevant. One thing you need to be aware of is the huge HOA fees in some Muirfield neighborhoods. That can make a reasonably priced property amazingly overpriced when calculated into the total cost.
sure I represent you as the buyer,even though,Ohio is a dual state.what is your time frame?Im a member of The greater Dublin Realtors Assoc.let me know I can best help you.

Regards;

Tom
We are currently helping multiple buyers and sellers in the Miurfield area, and would love to help you find your next perfect home. As a matter of fact we are preparing to list a beautiful 4 Br 2.5 bath on a quiet cudlesac in Muirfield Village at 344,900. It has not been yet been listed - but if interested I would be happy to share more and give you the first look.

Best advice we would like add is to interview at least three qualified realtors as far as your buyers agent is concerned. Trust, integrity and capability are three of the most important factors to consider here. The market is always changing and as a result you want a professional that knows how to help you navigate some of todays toughest potential pitfalls.

This said I am happy to say that I have already met a number of very capable realtors in this market area, all of them more than qualified. It really becomes a matter of ensuring that your realtor(s) are doing more than just offering to "show you homes". or just "list your house". There are many many realtors to choose from and I am sure you will make an informed decision and the realtor you choose will work wonders for your next dream home.
Good luck, happy hunting and please let us know if we can help make this decision any easier.
Matt & Taryn Dickens
DIckens Team
Web Reference: http://www.kw.com
Because Muirfield is not one development but a collection of many different types of homes, sites and local amenities, the differences in price are often justified --using a pure square foot formula does not work there like it does in SoCal. It doesn't work in many of the upscale developments in central Ohio. I am not a real estate broker but I think your best defense against being "taken" is the info a realtor can get for you on comparables. I agree that the homes in Muirfield are well built for the most part, but ther are also homes with issues so always have an inspection.
Social trans,like I explain to you before,that hasnt and wont change our plan,plus the home has to appraise out,so your not going to get burnt.Thx for checking back.

TJ
Web Reference: http://tjroberts.remax.com
That price difference can be attributable to location, upgrades and condition. There are actually two golf courses in Muirfield - the tournament course (Muirfield Village) and the country club at Muirfield. Houses on the tournament course can easily command a $100,000 premium over a home of similar size not on the golf course. Houses on the country club course will command a premium over non-golf course lots.

Because many of the homes in Muirfield are now 30+ years old, they may not have been updated compared to a similar home. The upgrades can easily account for a $100,000 difference. Also, some agents may not be including finished lower levels in their listing statistics. This can account for some of the difference as well. I don't think it has as much to do with "getting burnt" as making sure you are comparing apples to apples.
Have a Competent Realtor. Muirfield has a wide range of quality, updates, and locations. There are some bargains, and Columbus ARea is a great investment with solid stability.
Muirfield is a great choice for a place to live for a multitude of reasons. First, it was designed to balance the highest quality lifestyle with respect for the beauty of the nature surrounding the residents. Second, Muirfield is a community with ordinances that are designed to provide the best living conditions for its residents. Third, it's a golf community neighborhood surrounding the Muirfield Village Golf Club which hosts the Memorial Tournament, part of Golf's National PGA Tour. The Memorial Tournament is a real asset which will always help Muirfield hold value while other new developments come and go. For details on this neighborhood, see these links:

http://homes.point2.com/Neighborhood/US/Ohio/Franklin-County…
http://www.muirfieldvillage.org/

As far as the price discrepancies are concerned, there are about 2300 homes in Muirfield Village divided into four primary neighborhood styles:

~ Golf course neighborhoods
~ Wooded neighborhoods
~ Ravine neighborhoods
~ Open meadow neighborhoods

These Subdivisions and a home’s location, lot size, and builder can impact price, just like it does anywhere else. Finally, some of these homes were built in the 1970's and the price can reflect differences in how these homes have or have not been upgraded.

How can you avoid getting burned? That’s simple, get a Real Estate Agent with local expertise.

Thanks for asking!
Cheryl
Web Reference: http://DublinHomes.Us
Social trans,There some good deals in Dublin proper,I look at sqft price,and court house mkt value,Then I look at what have the sellers done,as far as upgrades etc.Bottom line is my buyers dont get burnt,I'm always thinking resale,I tell my buyers.Let me know your time frame and I'll send you some listings and comps.

Regards;

TJ
There is more than just price per square footage to consider when determining pricing a property correctly in Muirfield Village. Of course, the lot is going to play a major factor when considering buying in a golf course community. Other factors are the age of home and what updates/improvements have been made to the home. Is it a condo, is the square footage including finished basement areas, etc.
Web Reference: http://www.lowlistfees.com