Debbi(pa), Both Buyer and Seller in 08247

Is this a nice place for children?

Asked by Debbi(pa), 08247 Sun Jan 10, 2010

Answers

13
Debbie Bathen’s answer
Hello Debbi,

I know that you have been looking at quite a few of our shore communities....if you are interested in schools here in Atlantic County, a good place to start looking is at:

http://new-jersey.schooltree.org/Atlantic-County-Schools.html

This site will give you school stats. Another good place to look is at the NJ Department of Education site. There is also some good community information on my website as well-just put in the areas you are interested in on the community profile section of the website.

Good luck, as always!

Debbie Bathen
Realtor/Associate
RE/MAX Atlantic
cell: 856-404-3074
office: 609-645-0009
email: debbiebathen@remax.net
web: http://www.debbiebathen.com
Web Reference: http://www.debbiebathen.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 12, 2010
Is Pleasantville a nice place for children? In my opinion it is not, and I wouldn't raise my children there. I hope that helps you out. According to Citi-Data, they have 6 registered sex offenders and a crime rate thats almost twice as high as the average U.S. city. Follow the link referenced below to view the complete profile for this city. Atlantic county has some much nicer areas to raise children. I would suggest doing some further research on your own or hiring a professional Realtor who can answer such questions.
Hi Debbi(pa), my best recommendation is for you to do your own research and make your decisions based on what you learn. Agents are restricted by law in how far we can go in commenting on questions like this one. But as with any important decision, and where you choose to live and raise your family is surely that, do your homework! You'll find lots of information online - I've also had buyers contact the local police department. The Star Ledger School Report is a great resource to compare and contrast school districts. Good luck to you.

Jeanne Feenick
http://www.feenick.com

Good luck to you
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 12, 2010
Hi Debbi, Thank you! I understand your fustration, and these properties are borderline properties that are most likely in Pleasantville but are being listed by the Realtors as though they were in EHT in hopes that this will help attract more potential buyers to the property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 11, 2010
There is lots of data out there about the school system, its ranking, how parents feel about the schools, etc.. You can do your research on the quality of the school system and you can learn about the bus schedule in the area which will give you an indication on the number of children in the area. You can also research parks, recreation, athletic groups and activities such as soccer, baseball and other sports interests. Contact the Girl Scout and Boy Scout organizations to learn about their participation in the community, and visit as many local interest sites and playgrounds as you can find. Check on the condition of the playground, bathrooms, visibility and general upkeep. You have to decide for your self if this area meets your and your children's needs. Be thorough in your research, and trust your instincts. Naturally, people who live there will provide glowing recommendations -- make up your own mind. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 10, 2010
Do some of your homework first before deciding on a neighborhood--visit a neighborhood several times and at different times of day to get a sense of “belonging”. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from “steering”—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached. Keep in mind, opinoins are just that and what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another.

Anna
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 10, 2010
Bay Drive is located in West Atlantic City, which is a part of Egg Harbor Township. West Atlantic City is located between Pleasantville, which starts at Lyons Court, and Atlantic City. West Atlantic City shares a zip code with Pleasantville, 08232, which can be confusing. Children who live in West Atlantic City attend Egg Harbor Township schools. There is a school bus.

The area along Lakes Bay is residential and the streets are mostly named after cities in Italy, except for East and West Plaza. There are views of the Atlantic City skyline from many of these homes and the bay provides a good breeze. There is bus service to Atlantic City although it is within a five-minute drive. In the other direction, there is bus service to Ocean City.

Many residents have lived in this area for over 30 years.
Hi, Jen -

We'd like to move closer to the shore, and I have freinds and relatvies living in and around O.C. Plus my house is now almost empty and way too large now...

But the taxes!!!
Northfield, LInwood and Somers Point are all very nice. Having grown up in that area and moving to Pennsylvania 10 years ago, I think you would be much happier there. What is bringing you to this area of NJ?
Barneyfife -

Thank you for your candor. It's a shame because some houses along the bay looked lovely when we drove through last week, but go 1/2 block in the other directions - yuck. Linwood is looking better at this point.
No hammonton is not a nice place for children unless you are related to some old greese ball who came to America in 1900. I have never in my life seen kids treated so horribly by adults.Especiallyt the ugly women who work in the elementary school. if they don't know you, you are out. Let's not forget this is the town that took Halloween out of the school, not for safety reasons, but because of all the strangers and outsiders who come to the parking lot to watch the Halloween parade. And by strangers and outsiders, I mean YOU and ME. If you are a minority, don't waste your time because they don't even like other white people unless you are related to some Italian.. This is a town ruled by 19th century Sicilian men and their mentality carries on. If you live in 21st century American, and if you have daughters or are a female, DO NOT COME HERE. You would not believe what goes on. And stay out of any local places where they congregate. Old fat guys in wife-beater TV shirts and the women are all home in the kitchen. Like the Sopranos but without the charm. Be warned.
Jerry - Thanks very much for a straight answer!!

I had heard some negatives, but was looking for a professional's opinion and stats don't always tell the real story. I'm looking in EHT generally, but it's hard to determine where neighborhoods begin and end. For instance, there are some potential homes near Bay Avenue in EHT that come up on searches, but then the address shows as Pleasantville -- which I've heard is not so pleasant....

I'll be spending some time there soon to really get a feel for the area. Thanks again.
Here are links to the Pleasantville School District...

http://www.pps-nj.us/pps/

And this is a great link for school comparisons...

http://www.greatschools.org/new-jersey/pleasantville/Pleasan…

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Realty - Atlantic Shore
609-384-6121
Laura@JerseyShoreViews.com