Ale, Other/Just Looking in Thousand Oaks, CA

Is this a good time to become a real estate agent?

Asked by Ale, Thousand Oaks, CA Sun Aug 1, 2010

How long , more or less until the first transaction happens.Also can I work if I had my license as part time in the realtors office and be paid for it , and also do sales outside .

Answers

9
Joe Nernberg’s answer
Ale,

Here are some good places to begin:

Keller Williams (see Teri Arias) at 805-777-7777, Century 21 America (see Rick Quinn) at 800-350-7356, Troop Real Estate (see Cathy Courter) at 805-497-3200, and Coldwell Banker (see Frances Lewis) at 805-495-1048.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 2, 2010
There is some truth to their answers, but in reality they are all individuals opinions of their career experiences as is this response. I will say it is sometimes hard for rookies to start getting deals that close. However, if you are dedicated and work hard with a high level of service you will be fine.

Remember real estate agents are not just sales people they are service workers. They help a customer/client with providing a service to assist in buying and selling real estate. Don't let them scare you with the "you will not have a closing forever and blah blah blah."

If you don't have any experience at all getting into a successful team may be difficult, but its not impossible. That may be the route for you. However you may prefer to be your own team and run solo. I had my first deal close 5 weeks after getting my license and my second closing was 33 days after that. I hit the ground running and started to prospect and market myself from the very beginning. Thus I have averaged at least one deal a month in my first year. I'm not saying I'm rolling in it, but I am keeping my bills paid, my wife happy, and I truly honest enjoy my job and the career path I'm heading down. I still strongly believe that the best job to have in life is one that helps to service others. All of the rewarding careers out there in the world the best ones are those.

Remember these quotes....

“The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.”
~ Leo F. Buscaglia

“Often the difference between a successful person and a failure is not one has better abilities or ideas, but the courage that one has to bet on one's ideas, to take a calculated risk - and to act.”
~ Andre Malraux

“If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor.”
~ Neil Simon

Best of luck to your new career.
Hello Ale,
That's an excellent question....
If you have weekends available for hosting Open Houses, and you learn how to master them, you can create a stream of Buyer and possibly even Seller leads, which can eventually free you up from your other sales job. Besides, being diversified may be how you survive in the New Millenium! Let me know if we can assist you in reaching your goals...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 1, 2010
Despite the market, and it is not good, there are other questions you need to ask yourself as well. How are you for time management? Most agents are a 1099, meaning no salary, no health care, nothing provided for you. Some brokerage provide leads and floor time, most do not. Are you ok financially for a few months without any income? Cause that can happen, especially when you are new. It takes time to build up solid referrals, contacts, and networks.

Just wanted to add some things i didnt see anyone else talk about.

Hello Ale

Your best bet would be to Join Keller Williams, and inmediately join a team. Your commission split would be a bit lower, but the fact that they would give you some lead, and actually help you and teach you the ins and out of real estate is priceless if you are new to the business.
Thanks to all of you for your valuable input. I understand everyone had different experiences in their careers , however It guides me to have a better idea of how to enter in this difficult market. I also know that it will depend a lot on my hard work , but I have a strong believe that once you have a goal in mind everything that is in the way to obtain it, will be a part of the learning and the experience process . I am determined and persistant, and I know one way or another it will lead me to success!!!

best wishes to all,

Ale
Ale,

You've likely heard the term, "keep your day job...." In the case of entering real estate at this time it is VERY good advice. Beginners at this time can generally plan on an extended dry period, one of hard work and no pay with considerable money going out.

Unless you have a pension or other income sources, tossing your hat into this highly competitive arena can present an enornous challenge.......

The best ingredient for success would be to enter the business with a true commitment and the support of another established and successful agent that is willing to mentor you.

Good luck with your decision,

As an agent you are an independent contractor; so, you aren't paid until you close a transaction. It's great if you can find a seasoned agent to be a mentor. In addition, in the beginning, you may want to join a realestate team.
if you're prepared to make "zero dollars" for the first year, and work your royal heinie off... then, sure, why not?
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL