Cozyhome, Home Seller in Bar Harbor, ME

Is there increasing interest in super efficient or off the grid houses?

Asked by Cozyhome, Bar Harbor, ME Thu Mar 25, 2010

Answers

4
Yeah, it's probably the "fastest-growing sector" in real estate.

Meaning, interest has gone from trace to a larger trace.

First and foremost, the overwhelming majority of home purchasers care about how the house feels to live in - the physical spaces, finishes, siting, light, floor plan.

That isn't to say that homeowners aren't increasingly interested in retrofitting. But as a Top 5 "Must Have" for homebuyers? Not so much.
Check with a lender. I was told one house up here could not get a mortgage on it until it got hooked up to the grid. Having solar cells was not enough.

Cheap heating houses are great.

super expensive houses with solar cells that do not pay for themselves in a reasonable period of time... not so good.
Not that I'm able to see. Amenities can certainly make one property more attractive to a buyer than another. Location is a key factor for many buyers as well. Price and Condition carry a lot of weight. Each buyer clearly has their own criteria when making their buying decision.
In todays tight economy most buyers would be attracted to a super efficient home that isn't grossly overpriced. So I say yes to the first half of your question. I am uncertain however to your reference to off the grid houses? Are you referring to a home built out in the middle of no where?

Jason Stevens,GRI,ABR
Broker Associate
Kevin Flynn Realty, Inc.
Email: jasonstevens@emabarqmail.com