Market Conditions in Hawaii>Question Details

Li, Other/Just Looking in Connecticut

Is there a reason why some land is really cheap in Hawaii?

Asked by Li, Connecticut Tue Apr 1, 2008

I noticed that you can buy land for really cheap in some parts of Hawaii. I've seen prices as low as $10,000. Why is this so? Is there something wrong with the area? What would be an advantage of buying a piece of land like that?

Answers

14
you get what you pay for also Hawaii has the highest number of meth users in the nation and a lot of the people here are poor and get various government assistance
a lot of the land is lacking infrastructure such as county water or electric poles and there is little dirt and most of it is zone for agriculture and the cheap ones are close to the volcano which mean you may have to deal with vog , and lava flows and a lot of it isn't suitable due to lava tubes and caverns
Hi,I am Pakistani and want to settle in Hawaii,I want to buy a land anywhere in Hawaii,can I buy in 10000US to 15000US Dollar.This is my range to buy the land,tell me please,can its possible and after get the land,can I live hawaii for long time
What is wrong with you people? Have we really fallen so low that we are rude to people on these types of forums. Our country was founded on diversity. Let it go already. Yes, you can buy land on the Big Island for mega cheap...whether it is developable or not is in question. There is a large amount of poverty and lots of tourists. Plus...it is an active volcano.
Flag Thu Mar 20, 2014
what is wrong with you just staying in pakistan, If you move to hawaii you will lower the real estate values
Flag Sun Feb 9, 2014
No, you cannot by land here cheap, for 100,000 or 150,000. Too expensive here. Very high prices here.
Flag Thu Oct 24, 2013
Many of these properties are "undeveloped"; meaning uncleared, usually lava covered that requires bulldozing. Many of these properties have no water lines, sewage hookups and electrical poles. Many are in the Puna area, which can be dangerous at times.
also this area is filled with poop of all kinds.rabbit,geese and surfers frequentley crap here.i hope this information helped you you can email me for more real estate questions at cartercorey999@yahoo.com have a great day look where you step;)
no utilities. Near lava tubes and flows.
this area is very close to the world's most active volcano. But the flow changes direction
every so often--ONE B and B has onlly one way to reach it--by helicopter--if it has not
burned down yet.

I am going to be building in that area but I am not doing so, blindly!
Generally land (or property) that is "cheap" is less desirable than other areas.

Things to condsider when you are looking at property would include:

1. Local economy
2. Education
3. Water
4. Sewer
5. Roads

Kind Regards,
Andrew Meislin
President

Lauhala Mortgage
74-5620 Palani Court; Suite 208
Kailua Kona, HI 96740

Phone: (808) 331-0585
Fax: (808) 331-0583
Email: Andrew@LauhalaMortgage.com
Web-Site: http://www.LauhalaMortgage.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 11, 2009
Aloha Li,

The Big Island is where you will generally find the least expensive land in Hawaii and for good reason, volcano's. The closer you are to an active volcano the less financing is available and the higher risk that your property could be affected by an eruption.
Aloha:
My name is Mike Gallagher and I am Broker in Charge at RE/MAX Honolulu.
For many of your Hawaii Real Estate answers please view the latest data at my site: http://www.hawaiirealestatestatistics.com

I can also be reached at mikeg@hawaii.rr.com

Land Values are directly proportionate to population density, utilities available and Views available.
Many buyers choose to retire to the 'Big Island' of Hawaii as the land prices per square foot are much less expensive than say almost anywhere on the Island of Oahu.

Much Aloha,
Mike G.
Hi JLIC!

Patrick is correct, and I will add that there are many other factors as well, most importantly amenities and location. The least expensive land in Hawaii is on the Big Island and most likely in Kau, the southern tip district. Lots in Ocean View are primary on catchment water systems. Farther south to Na'alehu and Waiohinu you will find county water available. Also, there are a number of lots that are 'off grid" meaning no power at this time. That's not to say it wont' be available in the future, it just isn't ready now. Living on solar is quite commonplace in these parts and not considered a hardship at all, same goes for catchment water.

Also, one needs to consider that many lots are covered with lava with little to no vegetation and require machined site work before one can build. Heavy equipment operators are quite used to this and lava is easy to manipulate. Actually, in many cases, site work on a lava lot can be less cost prohibitive than some of the very steep more densely planted areas.

The farther you go from a populated town, such as Kona or Hilo, the less expensive lots and properties are going to be. HOVE is over an hour to town in either direction.

Then there are the Lava zones, too. HOVE is in a higher risk area and Na'alehu and Waiohinu are not. That being said, the views in Kau are some of the best on the island. It just depends on your priorities.

Good luck in your search!

Jayney Sharpe
Coldwell Banker
Licensed in California & Hawaii
Hi, Just Looking in Virginia is not correct. In most cases there are both roads and electric... thought here area few that are lacking those amenities. The island is made up of 5 volcanos, there is no escaping them. The area is very beautiful, very desirable, and very affordable. Quiet, peaceful and a great place to retire in Hawaii or live with a family ... Ka'u is the most perfect place on Earth. Really.
you probably have to walk to it because there are no roads
no electric
no water
maybe a volcano next door

anyways

good luck
You must have been looking at my web page! Well, the reason some land is cheap is because there is so much of it in some areas. In HOVE, which is one of the largest subdivisions in the world there are over 400 available vacant lots for sale. So, you know that's not a typo I will repeat myself. There are over 400 available vacant lots in HOVE. Some of the lots available, like for $10,000 are so high up on the mountain it takes over 20 minutes from the main road. The higher up in the subdivision the cheaper the lot. It is a beautiful area and many of the higher ups still have an awesome view. If land in the Ka'u area is what you are looking for I promise you wont be disappointed if you call me for service. Send me an email of what your needs and desires are and we can take it from there. patjlambert@aol.com
Hi, nice to read a factual review about Hawaiian real estate from someone who is there as apposed to comments from people who have never been there. I am hoping to make my retirement home in Hawaii.
Flag Sat Nov 23, 2013