Trulia Chica…, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

Is the tap water in Chicago safe to drink?

Asked by Trulia Chicago, Chicago, IL Wed Mar 6, 2013

Answers

24
I love Chicago water. And I am still alive! Chicago has the world's largest water filtration plant and we are the beneficiaries of living on the coast of Lake Michigan. I find the water to be tasty and safe. I fill a pitcher and live it in the fridge. Plus all the water bottles are Ungreen and annoying. I lived in Florida for 5 years. The tap water was atrocious and you had to buy bottled water. Chicago tap water is a great asset and we shouldn't take it for granted.
I'm sure it would be safe to drink! Although, I have always preferred filtered water. It has always had a better taste to me. You would also never have to worry about your tap being unsafe to drink. I would look into that if I were you. Good luck and I hope you find what you need! http://www.akqualitywater.com/specialty-water-filters.aspx
Flag Wed Nov 12, 2014
hell, no do not drink this stinky water
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
Here is the City of Chicago 2014 Water Quality Report

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/water/Co…
what about the pipes? if the water is great and the pipes stink then....what about an actual test of the contaminants in the final product...I heard they add aluminum to make the water look clear and flouride as well...not to mention runoff and sewage.....get an ro system or buy spring water...dont be an idiot
In my opinion, yes, in general the tap water in Chicago is safe to drink.

Jeff Nobleza
Baird & Warner
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 2, 2014
We have great water in the City
Go to the local grocer and count how many carts in the checkout line contains cases of bottled water.
That should be a CLUE!

Of course EVERY city will publish reports stating the water is absolutely safe to drink. Don't be concerned that it smells like a crusty athletic sock.
The very first thing to keep in mind is to drink water that is boiled and filtered. Do not drink tap water as it isn’t potable (safe for drinking).
http://www.o2aqua.ca
The tap water should be safe to drink, but it's always a good idea to put in your own filter. They have a lot of different options, and they hook up onto your sink head. It's really easy to install, so if you are worried about the tap water it's a pretty easy and cheap fix. http://www.custompure.com
Flag Mon Apr 13, 2015
If you haven't spent time drinking water from the taps of other municipalities around the country, but allow your mind to picture the imagined crystalline waters of Lake Michigan, than obviously, of course, Chicago has the best tap water anywhere!

The water in Chicago is as clean to drink as our air is to breathe. We live dangerously. We drink tap in the restaurants, turn on red, don't stop fully at stop signs, cross in the middle of the street, fall asleep on the bus, and for some, even maintain allegiance to the Cubs.
Chicago Water is the best water in the country
Yes, chicago is pretty clean on its tap water.
Been drinking it since I was a little kid. Am healthy and as far as I know not a complete idiot. Then again, if I were would I know?
Seriously though, I've traveled all over and we have great water compared to other places. The Water Dept. puts out an annual report that you can look at. Granted, the report isn't going to say anything bad so ...
Chicago is actually very well known for its water. Did you know that the one reason no place on Earth can duplicate a Chicago hot dog or an Italian beef is because no where else can duplicate the flavor of the water used to steam the meat?

This is something I recently heard. How true it is is another question..

We have a restaurant here in Chicago called Portillo's. In my humble opinion it is the best dog and beef in Chicago. Recently the company expanded nationwide and what i heard is that they actually ship Lake Michigan water to their locations (as far as LA) to steam their product.

This may not answer your question but at least you now know you can cook some mighty fine hot dogs here!
I lived in Florida for 5 years. About every 3 or 4 months I would email Portillo's and Connie's Pizza and beg them to open a branch. Its not just the water though. Its the ingredients and the preparation. They don't even know what Giardinera is down there.
Flag Sun Mar 17, 2013
Experts say Chicago has relatively good water, but it is always advisable to filter local water to remove various substances and odors.
Best water in the country.
Lake Michigan water and the water from the deep well reservoirs is some of the best fresh water in the country.
We are lucky to have such good water. I drink it right from the faucet because I heard bottled water was no better. Best deal in town.
Chicago has some of the best drinking water in the country. Here is a link to the full report:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/city/depts/water/ConsumerCo…

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
Ivan@atproperties.com
One of the best in the country.
It's the only water I do drink! My mother's been drinking it for 90 yrs. I can't imagine how much Lake water I've swallowed swimming in Lake Michigan my whole life. So far, so good!
I haven't died yet. Where do you guys come up with these dumb ass questions? Does anyone ever give you serious answers?
You would have to check with the water department. If you were to compare our water with any other city we would be on the top of that list. Chicago is a great city and I'm sure we are getting better by the minute.
Is this R E related? You can go to the water department web site and get a list of water 'ingredients' and there are about 100 of them. After reviewing them I do not think anyone would want to drink that water.