Jdogg, Home Owner in Anchorage, AK

Is the housing market in Anchorage steadily increasing or decreasing?

Asked by Jdogg, Anchorage, AK Thu Jan 19, 2012

Answers

4
The Anchorage housing market has been flat overall. Some areas of Anchorage have fared better than others, and I feel comfortable in saying that it really comes down to the individual home and it's location when determining if that home has increased, decreased, or stayed the same.
The Anchorage Daily News published an article on the market as it relates to taxation here in Anchorage last week, and in looking at the statistics on MLS, and being busy in the marketplace, I disagree with it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 19, 2012
If you have been in your home for six years, I certainly CAN see it appreciating. our local market has bottomed and is on the rise again. Appreciation has slowed but most homes are still going up in value. If you had only owned your home for 2 or 3 years, I would say that there could be an issue. Again-COULD BE. but six years is a positive thing. I purchased a new home just last year and just completed a refinance on it and it appraised for 5% more than I purchased it for. And this is based on recent comparable sales.
Flag Wed Aug 29, 2012
I was stunned by our last tax appraisal. The municipality appraised our home/property for more than we paid for it only six years ago. Never, ever, have I seen a property's tax value come even close to its sales value, and this appraisal took a big jump all at once and valued the property for more than the last sales value even though the market tanked After we bought it. I cannot see how it could be worth more than we actually paid for it in only six years, with no upgrades the previous few years, and after the real estate bubble burst. Something isn't right.
Flag Tue Aug 28, 2012
In the second quarter of this year we have seen more multiple offer situations with homes under the $340,000 price rangy (typically due to the FHA limit) than the last two years....this is projected to continue throughout the remainder of the year. Multiple offer scenarios are generated when there is a high demand in the market. High demand equals increase in the housing market.

If you have a home valued at or lower than this price range please call one of my associates at 907-440-4661 to schedule your free home selling consultation. In a multiple-offer market, this is a perfect scenario for sellers.
The Anchorage market has been pretty good this year. Year to date residential units are dead even with last year. Average sales prices on residential properties in Anchorage are up 4.35% year to date. Average days on market are down slightly.

Pending sales are off the hook in May up 53% in May and are up nearly 22% for the year. Inventories are still way down. -27.3% in May and down 6.1% for the year. New listings hitting the market are up 13% in May but still down 5.7% for the year.

All and all we have a healthy market. Prices are edging up but there are still values to be had.
We are in a very unique market at this time, and the determining factor will be your home. Homes in the lower price range from $250K and below are selling very quickly. With this in mind, it can mean that it is a sellers market. Most homes will sell quicker if they have been updated and clean. If you are wish to look at the market trends, please log into http://www.buyorsellanchorage.com This website has some great information for both a seller and buyer. I would be happy to chat with you about your home.