Market Conditions in Salinas>Question Details

Chenyi.hu, Home Buyer in Salinas, CA

Is salinas a nice place to retire?

Asked by Chenyi.hu, Salinas, CA Sun Oct 28, 2012

This question was asked from http://=www.trulia.com%2Fhomes%2FCalifornia%2FSalinas%2Fsold%2F2349… target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.trulia.com/homes/California/Salinas/sold/23493222…

Answers

9
It's funny how a whole bunch of broker tell you that Salinas is a "small town" or "nice place". Go see it yourself. It's the equivalent of Oakland. Shooting, break in, robbery happen weekly, if not daily.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 22, 2013
I will agree with your assessment by saying yes, it can be like Oakland. But which part of Oakland are you talking about? Oakland has a population of 395,000 while Salinas has a population of 152,000. The Oakland hills have some of the nicest homes in America. It’s the same for Salinas in that the difference in the different sections of the city are extreme. I’m currently living in a nice west side home in a neighborhood that has families that have lived there for a couple generations. It’s so quiet and safe that people literally leave their doors unlocked. Follow other people’s advice and visit the city. If you want to talk to a broker, describe to them what you are looking for and mention the lower west side, south of Hartnel Community College. There are lots of retired people in our area. You will be pleasantly surprised at how nice the community is. P.S. I’m not a broker or a member of the Chamber of Commerce. I’m just a happy citizen.
Flag Tue May 28, 2013
Salinas is really several cities put together. In general, the east side is called Alisal and it is the area with the poverty and gang problems. The west side is where the older estate homes and the nice mid-century neighborhoods are. The northside is a mix, but there is a newer area called Creek Bridge that is very modern and well designed. If you're thinking of living here you have to check out the different areas. Salinas can be a wonderful place to live. If you were checking out any major city in the U.S. and someone made a blanket statement like "Los Angels is terrible" or "Seattle is great", you shouldn't listen to them. It's all about the general region and the particular neighborhood. Monterey County is beautifu and has a large retirement population. Unfortunately, the coast is too expensive. Just a 20 minute drive inland is the much more affordable Salinas. I think Salinas can be the best of both worlds.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 9, 2013
no it was a craphole when i left in 1979. If you notice it's the scum sucking brokers telling you other wise. do your self a favor go check it out your self, if you go with a broker you won't get the whole pic. ex salinas native
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
Come on, Salinas is not safe. Drive by shootings, run down neighborhoods, filth in the streets. Area near Hartnell College used to be nice but I haven't seen it lately but otherwise, Salinas is overrun with gangs. I wouldn't live there...I'm too old to start ducking bullets. That's what Salinas is all about!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 31, 2012
salinas is great. we raced our two boys here. I have lived here all my life. There is alot of places of interest. It is 20 miles away from the ocean and in a vally surrounded by lush green mountains.
Salinas is a nice place to retire. There are many different areas of Salinas to research when making your decision. The climate is usually a bit warmer than the coastal regions of the Central Coast. If you would like a bit more info on Salinas or the Monterey Peninsula you may call or drop me a line.
How do you feel about the weather? Salinas, Carmel, Monterey are on or near the ocean and sometimes not the most desirable climate for someone in retirement age.
Come check out Hollister! We have perfect weather...a warm summer (but not blazing) and a mild winter (no snow)..yet we are conveniently located between San Jose and Monterey.
Perhaps you would like to live in a gated golf course community? Ridgemark Golf and Country Club might be perfect for you. Or maybe the wine trail in Cienega Valley..for a more scenic location.
If you would like to see all that Hollister (and our surrounding area) has to offer give me a call at 831-801-3179. I would be happy to show you our beautiful community.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
Definitely not..... Go to Carmel or Carmel Valley much nicer
Yes, there is small town feel with its rich history documented by John Steinbeck and minutes from the Monterey Bay.