Market Conditions in 07052>Question Details

KB, Real Estate Pro in West Orange, NJ

Is my home assesed fairly.I want to appeal my property tax / home assesment. Any advise would be appreciated.?

Asked by KB, West Orange, NJ Mon Sep 28, 2009

My 490K home value dropped 10K in Feb 2008 and then down to 455K in Jan 2009. There is a house next to mine that is listed for 375K, similar to my house.
The questions i have are:
1) How can i get the latest Comps for my house
2) do i need to get the house re-appraised from some authorized appraiser?
3) Where can i find thse types of appraiser and how much would the charge
4) I looked at the assesment values on home via taxrecords.com and the homes around mine have pretty low assesment value compared to mine. Is this info accurate?
5) What other paper work should i submit apart from comps and appraiser report to make a good case
6) Are there lawyers that do this? how much would they charge?
This site gave me some good info "http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2008/11/reducing_proper… but it talk about the towns "average tax ratio". Using these rations, i think i have a somewhat good case, would like some advice from all of you experts out there.

Kavita

Answers

2
If you want to protest your taxes, you need to go to the county assessor. They usually have a period once or twice a year for that. It is possible to get them adjusted, but keep one thing in mind. Many municipalities have become accustom to the tax revenue they receive. You may get your assessed value of your home lowered, but many municipalities are raising the tax factor used to figure the taxes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 28, 2009
Thanks for your response Patrick. Actually one of the things i found out from the taxrecord.com site is that my assesment value has not changed.. its still the saem since 2000 (thats as far i as i could find out). Looks like the tax rate has increased each time causing my taxed to shoot up.

But i guess the only thing i can challenge is the assesment value at this point.

While researching i came upon another site "easytaxfix.com" . Has any one heard of this or used this before? are they reliable / good? They charge $50 for their service.