Mr Credit, Real Estate Pro in San Diego, CA

Is more "Buyer-Stimulus" necessary to revive the Local Real Estate Market? If so, what is needed?

Asked by Mr Credit, San Diego, CA Fri Aug 19, 2011

A. First Time Buyer Tax Credit
B. Assurance that the Mortgage Interest Tax Deduction will remain
C. Cash incentives for ANYONE to buy
D. You tell me....

Answers

5
I don't think it has much to do with A, B, C. So I'll go with D. Too much has been written lately that low interest rates and super discounted housing hasn't done much.

Until, our government gets it's house in order and folks can feel comfortable that they'll continue to have a job and have faith in our economy in general, don't expect much improvement.

Then there's also the folks that are underwater that can't sell their homes to buy another. As a rule, a short sale takes them off the market for a least two years.

Happy funding, Rudi
Web Reference: http://www.umboc.com
I asked this question to the Panel on my radio show and we had some pretty unique answers. My favorite was the "Equity Guarantee". The Government could guarantee that anyone who buys real estate in the next 18 months will not lose money as long as they stay in the home for Five years. This could be put in place with $0 right now and wouldn't even become a financial issue for at least 5 years. If values climb over that time, then the Government could potentially pay nothing for this program! Basically, the Gov't would cover any amount that a Buyer was "short" as long as they bought a home during the given window and lived there for 5 years.

Mr Credit
Mortgage Interest Tax Deduction must remain as an incetive to home ownership...the other items you listed are no more than entitlements. We have created a country of folks thinking that they are owed a living...as Gov. Rick Scott says, "Lets' get to work!"
I don't think the first time home buyer tax credit was a success. It's just stole buyers from the future and gave people who were going to buy anyway without the incentive. It also caused the market to spike back in spring of 2010 and then resume it's decline after that. So those buyers who bought in spring of 2010 in some cases lost 10% of their property value in June when the tax incentive went away and are now upside down if they put a small amount down. So I do not think another tax credit would be productive.
What more stimulus can there be?

A. Been there. Done that.
B. Most buyers assume it'll remain. I doubt it'd be a stimulus to say that a decades-old tax deduction will remain in place.
C. Remember: At one point that "first time home buyer tax credit" was extended to people who'd owned their homes for more than--I think it was--5 years.

D. Low interest rates? Don't think so, with 30-year rates now around 4% and 15 year rates around 3%. Maybe we can update that old saying erroneously attributed to Herbert Hoover about "a chicken in every pot." (See http://www.hoover.archives.gov/info/faq.html#chicken ) Promise "A granite countertop and stainless steel appliances in every kitchen." That seems to get the attention of home buyers. To eliminate buyer uncertainty, how about some guarantee: "Buy this house, and you can sell it back to us at any time in the next 10 years and get back every penny you paid for it." That might work, but who'd guarantee it?
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA