Trulia San D…, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Is it ever a bad time to buy/sell in San Diego (i.e. seasonally)?

Asked by Trulia San Diego, San Diego, CA Wed Mar 6, 2013

Answers

10
Between Thanksgiving and New Years. Over the last 13 years I have data showing that this time of year has more price reductions by sellers than any other. Even during increasing markets.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 16, 2013
Well, there's never really a "bad" time to buy or sell but there are "better" times to buy and sell based on the season.

Typically the best time to buy is in the Fall/Winter because there is typically less competition at that time.

On the other hand, Spring and early Summer are typically the best times to sell because most people like to move in the early Summer, late Spring.

I hope this all makes sense. Please let me know if you'd like a no obligation estimate value on your current home or if you'd like some information on what homes are selling for in a particular area.

Feel free to give me a call or send me an email at any time!

Theresa Mack
(858) 230-4850
theresakmack@gmail.com
http://www.mackrealestate.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
Probably it most depends on what price range you are either buying or selling in. San Diego is a very busy area with newcomers moving in constantly. If you are in the low end range, I'm sure the Holidays and rainy season will have very little effect. However on high-end homes, I would certainly try and avoid the Holidays and rainy season.
The holidays are usually the worst time for sellers to place their home on the market to sell. Buyers become preoccupied with holiday activities and delay house hunting until after December.
Sellers who put their house up for sell during these months usually are highly motivated and have to sell - job transfer, loss of job, divorce, etc... Since their are fewer buyers they do not control the transaction and therefore sales during these months will show more seller concessions - credits to the buyers for closing costs and repairs.
Bad time to sell - during the holidays.
Bad time to buy - six weeks ago during the peak buying frenzy when there were multiple offers and bidding wars. Buyers didn't get to negotiate much and the prices were driven up with the "highest and best counteroffers.
Janet McCarthy
jmccarthyhomes@gmail.com
http://www.BestSanDiegoHomesGuide.com
http://www.JustListedinRanchoBernardo.com
I'm a big believer that if you stick to what works for your life and the needs of your family, that there are no bad times to buy or sell. Whenever you make buy or sell decisions based on speculation, you are more likely to get into trouble.

I bought at the absolute peak of 2004. I put 20% down and am still underwater a bit. The difference between me and someone else is that I 'under bought,' so that I could always make the mortgage payment.

Would it have been nice to buy at a lower point? Absolutely! But under today's guidelines, I don't qualify. In the meantime, I've enjoyed living in my home, enjoyed the tax breaks afforded with it, and my monthly payments are less than they would have been with an apartment.

If you buy smart with a substantial down payment, don't over-extend your housing budget, and stay for 5-7 years, chances are you will be ok. People got into trouble with the 0 down loans, and everyone who had a pulse qualified.

Although today's lending standards are quite strict. people buying today are better off financially than those who bought at the peak.
John DL Arendsen, Broker, Encinitas, CA
Our inclination is that due to the hot market that we've been experiencing in the San Diego market and the shortage of inventory we might see pent up sellers starting to place their properties on the market to the point that we could see a glut and actually see prices start to stabilize somewhat in the coming months.

If you're selling your home now might be the time to get it on the market and beat the anticipated glut in order realize your best possible price point. If, on the other hand, you desire to purchase you just may want to wait a little closer to summer whence there will be an increase in inventory offering up a broader selection and more competitive price points.

Just another perspective to chew on. However, regardless of whether you're buying or selling you will want to work with an experienced RE professional. We are a family owned and operated real estate broker, general contractor, manufactured home dealer and interior design one stop, turnkey business with over 100 years of experience in the San Diego Market.

Feel free to log onto any/all of our very user friendly websites:
http://www.tagrealestatesales.com http://www.chadofalltrades.com http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com

Or contact me anytime at 760 815-6977 email: onthelevel@cox.net
Generally speaking, homes sit on market during the Nov & Dec months. They generally move during the early Summer months.
However, given the current shortage in inventory throughout San Diego, I would use the strategy of listing in late June - early July, and buying in late November - early December.
Most sellers don't want to be on the market over the holidays in December so it makes it a tough time for buyers as there is not as much to choose from. Same logic makes it a good time to be on the market so you don't have as much competition. So, no, there really is no better time to buy or sell in San Diego.
In our opinion, the San Diego market suffers the traditional Holiday lag that starts a little before Thanksgiving and ends in the middle to end of January.

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
mark.kari@shea-realestate.com
National Association of Realtors
CA DRE License 01713506
Theresa was right on with her answer. Typically families with children will hold off till the summer time to make a move. It's obviously a difficult predicament when trying to move in the middle of a school year. You also however have to consider the overall market. If you have equity in your home and are looking to make a move it is a great time to sell in general because there is very low inventory with more buyers than sellers at the moment. This means most homes are getting multiple offers when coming on the market. You couldn't necessarily say the same thing 2 years ago, even in the summer time when no one was sure where the market was headed. Today is a different story with the market bouncing back (however slowly) and most believing that we have seen and passed the bottom. On the other hand for buyers, prices are still very good and interest rates are still rock bottom, if the market is headed the way we all hope it is you would still be getting in near the ground floor. So the overall health of the market may be a better determinant as to if its a good time to buy or sell and not necessarily seasonal activities in the current market.