camp.avan, Home Buyer in Nashville, TN

Is it a HOA fee of $200 a month high on a condo? Is it worth it?

Asked by camp.avan, Nashville, TN Mon Jan 7, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/compare/3094077016-21-Vaughns…

Answers

7
Condo living is a lifestyle choice for people looking for minimal maintenance, while still enjoying the benefits of property ownership. Condo fees may include building maintenance, grounds upkeep, insurance premiums, and recreational facilities (if any) among other things. If you were to purchase a single family home you would be responsible for all of the upkeep of the home; roof, exterior, landscaping, etc. which could be much more than an HOA fee. You need to weigh the cost of the HOA fee with what you get in return to see if it's worth it for you.
Margaret Moore
Down here in Hurricane country, with high wind insurance, we think $200 is a LOW condo fee! As others have said, it's all about what you're getting for your money...
I actually viewed a property the other day which had a $300 HOA fee per month on a condo and the subdivision did not even offer any amenities. It blew me away. The condo was very inexpensive but to add $300 to a monthly payment sent my buyers running the other way.
It really depends on what's included. Is there a pool? How about a gym? Insurance?

In the scheme of things $200 isn't that much - depending on what it covers. But HOA fees aren't really the big consideration on condos right now. Check out my latest blog link below. Do you have an agent who understands the condo market?
It just depends on what the association covers, ex: pool, exterior maintenance, landscaping, etc.
Also whether the unit is on the end, middle. Location of the property, I've seen the fee's anywhere from 95.00 - over 500.00 a month.
I'm showing $157/month which is in line considering there is a pool and clubhouse. It's also a good location which can affect the dues.

It's often good to talk to your insurance agent when weighing HOA dues to see how much of the dues are offset by what you save on your homeowners insurance. You may also be saving lawncare and trash pickup costs so these are all things to consider when evaluating the HOA dues. There are even condos where the homeowners cover exterior maintenance. Weighing the HOA dues versus the cost of replacing your own roof may also put things into perspective.
You should work with your own trusted and personal Buyers Agent, you one stop real estate resource center!! Read on to see why:

Please use a Buyers Agent
Pleases if you are interested in buying a property, do yourself a huge favor and work with an experienced local Realtor, do not do this on your own!

and here is WHY:

WORK WITH A REALTOR, YOUR PERSONAL BUYERS AGENT
I am wondering why you ask this question here at Trulia, if you are an interested and determined
buyer, you definitely should connect with a local Realtor, a buyers Agent, ie a Realtor who will be on
your side, protecting your interests, finding the right property, arrange showings, answer all your
questions, help you right a good offer, get you also pre-approved for a loan, and negotiate on your behalf the very best sale price and terms and if you commit to one trusted Realtor, he or she will commit 100 % to you and his or her services if you make an offer on a property listed by a Realtor/Brokerage in the multiple listing service will be FREE to you, as Buyers Agents are usually
paid by the seller's side, out of the sellers proceeds at the closing table...ALL THAT IS REQUIRED FROM YOU TO WORK ONLY WITH ONE REALTOR AND TO BE 100 % LOYAL TO YOUR PERSONAL BUYERS AGENT!

Why would you want to do this on your own, when there are so many details to be taken care of the
right way and so many details need to be paid attention to, inspection appraisals, loan commitment, walk thru etc. etc. in order to bring an offer to a fully executed contract and that to successful closing and home purchase.

Give it a second thought and hopefully you will decide to work with a trusted Realtor, who is experienced in your areas of interest. Please commit to only ONE Realtor!! If you need recommendations get back to me I gladly forward you names..

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, ---- EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)