Market Conditions in 30519>Question Details

Cheryl Beebe, Both Buyer and Seller in Lilburn, GA

Is having a highschool/middle school cluster built within 1/2 mile of a neighborhood a bad thing? I live in

Asked by Cheryl Beebe, Lilburn, GA Mon Jan 28, 2008

Mill Creek Plantation off Morgan Road/Sunny Hill Road and they are building the new Mountain View highschool and Twin Creeks middle school about 1/2 mile down the road. Some neighbors seem to think that will be a negative but I think it will be a positive thing to increase property values since families would like to live close to schools for their kids. What do you think?

Answers

7
What is up with the thumbs down on these opnions?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2008
Cheryl,

This will be determined by the schools performance. Unfortunatly that is mostly out of your hands.
I have many people that have the same concern in my area where they are building the new North Gwinnett Middle School.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2008
I think living near the school is a huge positive as long as the school is a good school. In general, good schools and family oriented areas go very well together as parents wish to be near the school. It also helps insure that the school won't be redistriced away from the homes (although not always true). Schools that perform poorly or have a history of delinquents can be a negative.
Web Reference: http://www.jrjarvis.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2008
Joshua Jarvis, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
Cheryl
I think it depends on the quality of schools and their service area. Schools that offer something exceptional make living in that school's service area a big plus. The other aspect (I live about a quarter mile from a high school, middle schoo, and elementary school) is how the three schools work together.

For instance, we have a new music teacher at the high school, and she has arranged for students from the elementary and middle school to participate in some of the musical productions such as band, chorus, and talent shows, and it is a real plus.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Like everything else...there are positives and negatives in schools close to ones home. You bring one positive to the situation in what you stated. Based on my experience in the Real Estate business, if the school is well rated over time, there will be many more positives, which will make ones home more desirable if and when one chooses to sell.
Web Reference: http://lantierrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2008
Cheryl -
Generally speaking, I would agree with you. Obviously, there are some other strong schools in that area that certainly affect property values for the better.

People resist change often and fear the the new schools may not live up to the standard of the others. Not everyone buying homes is concerned about schools for themselves directly - and unfortunately, not all people consider that the people who will be buying their home later may have an interest in schools.

So, to answer your question, it SHOULD generally be a good for values in the area assuming a number of things ...

Best of luck to you!

Lee
Web Reference: http://www.leeadkins.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2008
New schools can be a huge benefit and actually help property values. The only negative that comes with schools that are placed in close proximity is the traffic that they bring.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2008