Chewie, Both Buyer and Seller in Chicago, IL

Is Wilmington NC a place to find affordable close to the beach property?

Asked by Chewie, Chicago, IL Tue Jul 10, 2007

Answers

16
Hi Good Question! Some would in interpret “close to the beach” as walking distance, others a short drive. Affordable is also relative depending on where one currently lives and what the housing market is like. Affordable to a Long Island NY resident means fewer than 500,000 while an Iowa resident might be thinking below $150,000.

Wilmington has a variety of prices and homes to fit any budget. You can purchase a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, with a good size yard in an established neighborhood from $175,000 and up and be within 6-8 miles of beautiful Wrightsville Beach, and at the same time be just a few minutes from the Historic Downtown Wilmington Riverfront. Can't find that in many housing markets that I know of!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 12, 2007
Chewie,

There is a great resource for you to see exact costs of homes and how far from the beach whether Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach or Kure Beach. Plus you will see visually how get to the beaches via driving. A lot of the Intracoastal access is locked up by private owners, however there are quite a few neighborhoods that are affordable and their own access to the water. Check out the #1 rated area community based website.
The beauty of Wilmington is that the beach is within 10 mile from most parts of the city. There are direct routes also making it convenient.

John Horton
Historic Downtown Wilmington
Real Estate Specialist
Licensed NC REALTOR®
Laney Real Estate
Wilmington, NC USA
http://wilmington-northcarolinarealestate.com/
http://wilmingtonnccondo.com/
You may be surprised to hear that property on Carolina and Kure Beaches is very affordable. Possibly more affordable than Wilmington due to a tru bubble bursting. Some properties have sold for 100% less than comparables two and a half years ago. I have seen a 1100 sq ft home on Canal Dr across the street from the ocean, and canal sell for 175K. Also a 2000 sqft home 50 yards to the beach on a big high lot sell for 245K almost a year ago. Huge deals if you know what to look for. The rental market in Wilmington, and on the beaches is also very strong. Current lots on Carolina Beach listed for 98K!! Very affordable.
Web Reference: http://www.homevaluator.org
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 17, 2008
Philip,

Contact me through my web site.

Maybe I can help you out.
I want to sell a lot in a beautiful community called ( the bluffs on the cape fear ). I need to sell quickly and maybe it would suit your needs, it has great amenities and a beach house for common use, it also has docks and boat storage at the community. Valued at $139,000, will sell for $109,000. Hope this helps and good luck.
It will be 78 degrees this Friday and it is April....wouldn't you like to be coming to the beach for the weekend? It is very possible with many affordable choices. There are wonderful condos on the market in the 200-300 range, oceanfront or oceanview, steps to the beach. Buy for your own personal use or find a property with a great rental history, help pay for the mortgage and visit when it is vacant. There are also some interesting multi families available and you could rent out one unit while living in the other. Fabulous prices are out there right now. Let me help you gather all the information to make an informed decision. We have a lot of people scoping out properties in our market right now and I am glad to share all the information that I have been collecting including rental rates, rental history, sales data and market analysis for whatever price range you are looking for. Call or email me today.
It's Spring 2008 and there are wonderful opportunities to purchase properties in the Wilmington NC area in todays market. The extensive inventory available in the beach towns of Carolina and Kure Beaches has given buyers the opportunity to be within walking distance of the beach for prices we have not seen in 6 years. Ocean Front condos can be found in the low $300,000s. Single family homes with a short driving distance to the ocean (3-8) miles can be purchased for under $200,000. There are homes to fit every need and every budget, convenient to the beaches and beautiful historic downtown Wilmington NC. We'd be happy to help you sort through the available properties! The Coast Home North Carolina Team previews homes for relocating buyers.. Call us!
Remember, most of Wilmington is close to the beach. If you know what you are looking for you can find a nice home from 160k-ish up these days.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 30, 2007
If you are still interested, price are falling at the beaches around Wilmington. I believe this winter will be the best tome to find deals for some time. If you have any questions, please contact me.
Chewie
First step is discuss what is reasonable and all else will fall into place. Close to the beach? Walking distance or short drive. drop me an email and we can discuss this further.
Web Reference: http://www.tinaabraham.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2007
I don't know about Wilmington NC, but I do know about Myrtle Beach, a place where the weather is moderate and the beaches free. Look and listen to the news about a new Theme Park, called Hard Rock Theme Park just west of the ICW in the heart of Myrtle Beach. And yes, it is a buyer's market and the price of homes has gone down and will continue to go down until the year's end. Then I think owners will review their respective choices. I am a broker/realtor. Feel free to contact me.
We are renting a condo on the beach in Carolina Beach that was on the market for $264,000 and did not sell. It has been totally updated and has 2 bed/2 bath with 800 square feet.

Not yet sure what other places are selling for but I hear that this is a great time to buy!
Sadly because of other markets inhibiting their ability to sell, the beach market here is slow. But on the other hand it's becoming a great place to find deals. Northerners will find wrightsville a steal compared to cape cod and the beaches here are remarkable.

John Horton

It's all about what you think is reasonable, and what is close to the beach. You can be within 8 miles of Wrightsville and spend less than 250k on a great house. If you want to be within a few miles you may be 350+.

Feel free to contact me.

John Horton
Laney Real Estate
http://wilmington-northcarolinarealestate.com
It is very important. Buyers want as much info as they can get. They dont want to waste their time if the house doesnt look like a place they want to live.