Monica, Home Buyer in New Jersey

Is Palm Coast a good move? School system, Crime, environment in general.

Asked by Monica, New Jersey Wed Feb 20, 2013

Possible relocation to Palm Coast... I am a Banker, Husband is a Cabinet maker ( but also a Jack of all trades kind of person), 3 little boys, oldest in Kinder... I would like someplace where they can attend public school (good one), have a good community where they can grow and prosper.

Answers

14
Josh & Jess’ answer
Palm Coast is a pretty quiet little town. I moved here from Orlando a couple years ago. It does tend to get boring at times, but with 3 boys, I don't think you'll have that problem. I'm not sure about the elementary schools, but my fiance's sisters went to BTMS and they loved it. They're currently attending FPCHS, and so far, no real problems. It's your standard high school. I just recommend that you shy away from the "R" section. Don't let low housing prices lure you in. It's not violent but it's not the best area at the same time. Stick to the East side of 95 or North of Palm Coast Parkway if you want something West of 95. Way south isn't bad. Seminola Woods is pretty decent. Just some parts are a bit of a drive, along with the "K" section. Bunnell isn't too terrible either, if you live on the side with the Kangaroo jiffy store. I think it's a Kangaroo still. Haven't been in a while.
Palm Coast is a great place, but has its issues like anywhere else. No major crime to speak of. Not a whole lot to do. Nice and quiet. I am a NY transplant so the school system isn't what i expect it to be. It is a little behind what I am used to.

The F section is an established neighborhood, one of the first ones in Palm Coast and highly sought after. You'll find older homes mixed in with the newer homes. But, like I said, it is established. You'll find renters, but not as many as in other parts of the city.

Good luck to you!
It's a red flag when you hear that only certain sections are safe.The whole place is a sex offenders dream.The P,B and some of the Rs are pretty crappy and Bunell is just a dangerous place with a safety rating of 2 out of 100,2 being the safest. Also no sidewalks here and a couple of kids were killed in the F section because people drive so crazy.Check out how many murders happen a year here in PC and base your decision on that.Oh yeah if that didn't scare you off than make sure you get a home security system, you will see everyone has one and guns because of all the armed break ins.
I have two daughters that attend Old Kings Elementary. From talking to other parents in the area, it is the best of the elementary schools around. My girls love the school and my wife and I have had only good experiences with their teachers and staff. There is also Sunshine Academy which is a preschool right across the street which our youngest attended when we first moved here three years ago. It was also a very good school.
You may visit http://www.homefacts.com . Also you may talk to the local police station.
Can anyone tell me about the F section of palm coast? I am starting to lean towards that one? Thoughts, experiences?
No F isn't that nice.
Flag Sat Mar 23, 2013
The F section is really nice actually. Most of the E section is alright. The W and the P section north of BTMS is ok. The B, L, C, U, Z and S section are good. The K section is alright, it's just not very convenient in location.
Flag Sat Feb 23, 2013
Hi Monica,

The F section enjoys close proximity to recreational facilities, golf course, doctors offices, fraternal organizations, civic clubs, Matanzas High School, restaurants, shopping and pretty close to the beach and highway. There is also saltwater canal homes that lead to the intercoastal.
Flag Sat Feb 23, 2013
Hi Monica,
I've lived in Palm Coast since 2001, and I absolutely love it! Location wise, I think we have it best. We are close enough to Daytona Beach to be able to enjoy the events, NASCAR, Bike Week, etc. but far enough away to escape the crowds. Historic St. Augustine is just a short drive north, and the beach is just minutes away.

If you would like to provide me with a little information about what you are looking for in a home, I can send you some examples of what's available.

Jon Palumbo, REALTOR(R)
Adams, Cameron & Co.
386-793-2882
Denise Lafrance, Agent, Palm Coast, FL

Although our schools have good ratings another choice for public education is a Charter School. Imagine School reminds me of a Montessori type School. They have moral based education, a strong sense of community. Older students tutor younger students and parents participate in school functions. The atmosphere is one of learning and pride. My neighbor who was the town planner for Flagler beach and her Dad a retired principle was very pleased with the education program at the school as well as the school environment. Her children were motivated and happy.

The public schools have a wonderful music program and I am always impressed at their performances. I personally cannot speak of my experience with the education but I do know many children from this area were honored with Bright Futures which allowed discounted college enrollment.

I do know our in State tuition is far less than other States. I would look at the whole picture and make my decision. FSU is an excellent university which offers a large choice of available degree programs. I would compare what other State colleges and universities are offering to their in State students. Education is getting very expensive and putting a large burden on the graduates. It may seem like too far in advance to consider but time will be there before you know it.

In the end you may be living in a place that is a vacation destination to most and home to you.
I hope you find the answers that will best fit your family.
We are located just outside Philadelphia and are also considering a move to Palm Coast before the next school year (my oldest will be 5 in June and will start kinder in the fall). My mom relocated to PC a year ago and absolutely loves it so we are in the due diligence phase to determine if its the right place for a young family - was glad to see this question but wish there was a forum to get responses from someone other than agents (no offense meant at all - just looking for unbiased feedback)

love the http://www.neighborhoodscout.com - very helpful. also check out http://www.discoverpalmcoast.com
Be sure that you have jobs before you move. The market is very tight in PC, unless you want to drive to Orlando area or Jacksonville. We also plan on moving down, house is on the market in the Northeast.
Flag Fri Jun 14, 2013
Palm Coast is a very nice place to live -- pretty, nice weather, not too congested, lots of parks and public places, enough shopping and restaurants, and a beautiful 14 pled movie theater with stadium seating. Palm Coast also has a diverse population. And a fun place to live so close to the beach. The one drawback, compared to the northeast, is the public school system. Florida is near the bottom, I believe, in good public education. GIven that, Palm Coast has one of the better school systems in the state.

I advise you to talk to mothers of kids your age who are in the public school system here and get their feedback. I don't have children in the public school system.
Hi Monica,

I think Palm Coast is an excellent community with good schools. The City is commited to providing good recreational facilities and enviorment to the people that live here. We have many new schools that are A rated. Employment in this area has been weak but the economy and the building industry is just starting to move again. Jobs are very competetive and it could take a while until you find something you will be happy with. Housing is reasonable and the market is climbing. This is good for you because in your husbands line of work it will mean more employment oppertunities.I moved here from CT and love the area and quality of life. I never looked back.
http://flaglerschools.com school information
http://www.myfcso.us/ Sheriff information

Hope you find these sites helpful.
In my opinion it is. I moved from Ohio almost 9 years ago to Palm Coast and I love it. The housing market is great - although prices are slightly on the rise again. The schools have been "A" rated for the past few years (I have two school aged children myself) and there is minimal crime scattered about but nothing to be concerned about at all, and the environment - well, we are about 4 miles from the beach - enough said - :) We have a lot of residents from New Jersey and New York so there's something bringing them here - it's definitely not as cold - :)
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/

I love this link. Lot's of info here on any general location all in one spot.