Julianne, Home Buyer in 94303

In Columbia Heights, some houses are selling for $550-600/sq ft, others for <$300/sq ft. Why?

Asked by Julianne, 94303 Sat Jul 2, 2011

In the same neighborhood, within a few square blocks, some condos/ townhouses are selling for dramatically more than others. Why?

What do buyers look for most in this area? What features are most attractive, and most define the market value/selling price of homes?

Answers

4
Hello Julianne,

I showed a property today in Columbia heights. To my suprise this property was very close to Howard U and behind Washington Hospital Center.

I write that all to say what is defined as Columbia Heights today as expanded significantly. Some of the higher priced homes selling in this subdivision have been remodeled completely and turned key ready leading to higher sales price point.

if you would to discuss this more feel free to contact me.
It depends on whether or not the property is new construction, a new renovation, an old renovation or not renovated at all. The quality of construction and/or renovations is also a key factor. If it has a surface parking space, that will add $40,000-$50,000 to the price and if it has two spaces or a garage, that could add an additional $50,000-$100,000 to the sales price. Amenities such as outdoor space will add $25,000-$100,000 depending on the size, as well as fireplaces, wood floors, what level its on and the location within the neighborhood. Closer to the subway station generally means more money. A quieter, prettier tree-lined street is also more desirable.

Looking at raw listing data that is found on this website and others doesn't give you as clear or accurate a picture of the inventory as seeing properties in person especially if you can see them with an experienced agent who is familiar with the market and past sales--which you won't be able to see in person.

Want to speak with an agent with almost 20 years experience in this area and who also lives in the neighborhood? Call me: (202) 903-6533.

Bill Abbott
Realtor, Licensed in Washington, DC, MD & VA
TTR Sotheby's International Realty
1206 30th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20007
m 202.903.6533 o 202.333.1212
http://www.BillAbbottDC.com
Experience the difference.
Web Reference: http://www.BillAbbottDC.com
Hi Julianne - Ken with Keller Williams Realty. The Columbia Heights neighborhood is wonderfully diverse - not only in the types of people who live here, but also in the condition of many properties. Some properties have not been updated since the 1970's (or earlier!)_, and some have recently been rehabbed to open up the interior spaces and modernize the electric and plumbing systems.

Most people are drawn to Columbia Heights for the convenience of metro, shopping, and the 11th street strip - some great home-grown restaurants and bars with lots of outdoor seating. Of course, the convenience to employment centers downtown are helpful as well.

Check out my website http://www.columbiaheightscondos.net to get all the active listings in Columbia Heights quickly. I live and focus my efforts in Columbia Heights, and would be glad to be of assistance. If you have any other questions, drop me an email at ken@kenrub.net.

Ken
In this area, things can vary block to block, but chances are there are additional factors.

The square footage you see is typically the 'taxable area.' This does not include basements, so a finished basement could make a big difference.

Other things that are not factored into price per square foot are things like central air, off street parking (or a garage space), and the land. Chances are the land does not make a big difference, but if the house is a corner unit or detached, it will add value.

If you want to send me some specific examples, I can give you a little more information.