Market Conditions in 23693>Question Details

sardines4, Both Buyer and Seller in Yorktown, VA

If we were to list our house for sale next month, what is the likelihood of selling it before the new year? spring?

Asked by sardines4, Yorktown, VA Tue Oct 15, 2013

Our house is on a cul-de-sac in Woodlake. We are weighing the decision to move now or delay our move to the west coast until the spring. Essentially, we want to know typically how long houses in our area remain on the market in late fall/early winter vs late winter/early spring.

Answers

7
Hi Mr. Arnold,
I would love to assist you. Please call me directly!
757-897-5170
Kim Hoskins, REALTOR
Liz Moore and Associates
I would advise you interview a couple of different high producing agents in your area. Have each one of them run a CMA and ask them their thoughts on pricing your home competitively for market to increase the probability for a quicker sale.
Clearly state your goals, and then ask them to give you their professional opinion on what the anticipated marketing time of your property is at various degrees of list price.
There is not going to be a blanket answer unfortunately. The market is as unpredictable as the weather sometimes. A high producing real estate agent with a proven track record for success, should be able develop a marketing strategy to give you the best chance at achieving your goals.
This is my advice; I hope it is helpful
Average market time for houses that have closed in the last 30 days in York County South (area 112 in the MLS) was 80 days when I ran the statistic yesterday on 42 sales. Mid July is peak market and the average market time then this past year was 65 days. This type of variation is typical. As others have stated though, it's more about pricing, condition and marketing (pictures, exposure on sites like this, print, ect.) since Average is just that.

Over the last couple years houses sold in the peak season in York County South have gotten about 3% more on average as a dollar per/sqft. figure than houses sold in the slower winter season. Inventory fluctuates greatly though and you'll have a lot more competition peak season than now with as many as 30% more houses on the market, sales will eat up inventory faster though as well with a comparable amount of increase in the number of houses sold.

Bottom line is, you should sell when it's most convenient for you and not worry about "timing" the market. If you are looking to maximize your profit it is a good idea to give your home plenty of time on the market since houses that sell very quickly likely didn't get the top market dollar. If making a timely move is more important to you than getting every dollar out of the house, that will change the pricing and the likely amount of time on the market. Houses sell in a range it just depends upon your goals. I go over all of this information when I meet with seller's to discuss them potentially using me.

If you would like to discuss further, meet or have further questions, call me anytime at 757-254-8957.
Web Reference: http://DanPetersHomes.com

Your question is an excellent one that takes a careful answer. Given that all other factors remain the same, such as smart pricing, great curb appeal and interior showing, and heavy marketing, your timing on the market plays a big role in helping us determine an estimate for your home's possible days on market.

Using a data set of home sales from the late fall/winter (Q4) of 2013 and late winter/early spring (Q1) of 2014 in Woodlake and comparable neighborhoods in 23693, I have derived some averages that look promising. Remember, however, that the market activity during the upcoming two quarters could be better or worse than Q4 of 2012 and Q1 of this year. So far, the preliminary numbers show that the market activity of Q4 this year seems to be comparable to Q4 of last year, despite the recent full week of rain and the government shutdown disruption.

Most of my seller clients prefer to have more time than needed to sell instead of insufficient time to sell. Depending on your anticipated move out date, you may want to consider getting on the market sooner rather than later, even if that could mean some inconvenience in your transition from this home to your next.

I look forward to sharing my 23696 market data with you and serving you further in this important endeavor. Feel free to call me any time with questions or service requests. My mobile number is 757-268-5123.

Joe McAvoy
Web Reference: http://www.goLEGRAND.com
There are no guarantees......prepare the property right, stage it if you need to, great photos inside and out, a good Realtor who will market it as best as he / she can, and PRICE IT RIGHT FOR THE MARKET
not what you may want or need to sell it for. Discuss this in detail and look at similar homes in your area
are they better updated, better curb appeal, lower price or at the same price are they larger etc. etc.
go with your agent to look at some currently competing with yours. And then make a market friendly
decision with your Realtor, after all the right buyer has to come along.
Sincerely yours,
EDITH Karoline Jasser YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties Brokerage, 30 Green Bay Road, Winnetka, Illinois 60093
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Many factors go into the sale of a home and just how quickly it will sell. In our current market if a home is competitively priced and has good curb appeal it may sell as quickly as 30 days. Cluttered homes that do not show well could stay on the market for months. However you can never predict how quickly a home will sell.

As for timing spring is usually a more active selling time as you have the military transfers looking for a home but now also is a good time to sell. It all depends on the property.

I would like to opportunity to meet with you to give you a honest estimate of your homes market value and take a look at the home to get a idea of how marketable it is.

Please contact me on 757-812-0399 or send me a email at jb4homes@gmail.com so we can set up a time for us to meet.

I look forward to meeting with you.

John R Beavers, Realtor
Heartland Realty LLC
15% below market value - SOLD in 14 days (there's more to this that meets the eye)
5% below market value - SOLD in 30 days
At Market Value - Sold in 90 days
30% above market value - absolute silence.
-
Now, be aware, the fundaments still apply.
1. Curb appeal
2. Clean
3. Odor free
4. Declutter
5. Pass on the temptation to 'trick out the house' for the Holidays.
-
#5 has proven to be a real challenge for those who are on the 'family' migration flight path.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Only serious buyers are looking during the Holidays.