Market Conditions in 19146>Question Details

Julie, Home Buyer in 19146

I'm trying to figure out what the low end of a reasonable offer would be on a house in the Graduate Hospital

Asked by Julie, 19146 Tue Nov 4, 2008

neighborhood in Philadelphia. Does anyone have a sense for how many (if any) properties have sold in the neighborhood (19146) that have settled for more than $700K? The only one I can think of is on the 1800 block of Kater. Obviously the closer you get to Rittenhouse, the more likely it is that this will happen - but there is a house on Bainbridge currently priced at 900K ... and some priced in the neighborhood at $700K on Christian. I know there were a couple of houses on the 15/1600 block of Christian that were priced really high. Anybody have thoughts on whether the high end market in this neighborhood is worth it?

Answers

5
Hi Julie,

I would need to do more research and have more information on a particular property that you are interested in. I would do you a disservice if I just said it was worth it or threw numbers out there at you. If you can be so kind to send me more information, I would be happy to give you some advice.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION REALTY
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office Ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com Where you can get your FREE market snapshot
A few hours ago Julie said:
Really none of you answered the question I asked, which was "how many (if any) properties have sold in the neighborhood that have settled for more than $700K?
So, instead you all thought it best to give me a bunch of bland advice about using a realtor? Don't be silly. Of course I have a realtor, and the generic advice you've given me is less A) than I already know and B) than I could easily find on the internet.
I wouldn't use a realtor who answered with such inane "advice." I would imagine that anyone looking at a home that was priced more than $700K would already be pretty sophisticated about what we know. If you want to gain clients in that range, you all need to be really listening to what they are asking of you, not just regurgitating the latest internet dribble.

Hi Julie.

Though I respect your honesty, I have to say that I am a bit offended. You asked a few things such as "does anyone have a sense for how many (if any) properties have sold in the neighborhood (19146) that have settled for more than $700k? Well, any Realtor on this site can provide you that answer by simply going to the MLS and looking and that would be just "regurgitating the latest internet dribble" as you put it because to answer your question thats would what we would have to do to look at the numbers and give you those statistics.
Then you made a few "statements" such as "the only one I can think of is on the 1800 block of Kater. Obviously the closer you get to Rittenhouse, the more likely it is that this will happen-but there is a house on Bainbridge currently priced at 900k-and some priced in the neighborhood at $700k on Christian. I know there were a couple of houses on the 15/1600 block of Christian that were priced really high." So there really isn't an answer we can give you for statements.
And then finally you ask one last question "anybody have thoughts on whether the high end market in this neighborhood is worth it?"
And my answer to you was that I would need more information on a particular property that you are interested in so that I can do research and compare because I didn't want to just regurgitate the latest internet dribble (as you put it) to you. I actually wanted to do homework to give you an intelligent, thoughtful answer.

A question I have for you is ... you said you have a Realtor. Why not just ask your Realtor.

I am sorry you felt that our answers were "inane."

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION REALTY
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com

Your best bet would be to interview and hire a buyer broker than can assist you in getting the information about prices and values in this area as well as making an offer if you so choose. in most cases you can negotiate with a buyer broker so that it does not costs you jmanything out of pocket as the buyer agent gets paid at closing from the listing broker the fee offered in MLs. This way you have someone looking out for you. good luck with your purchase.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Hi Julie:

You are absolutely right. As with many neighborhoods home prices vary block by block... and yes, the closer you get to Rittenhouse, the prices increase. Lombard Street is actually where the zip code changes. If you are putting an offer, be sure that you have a REALTOR® to represent your best interest or higher an attorney to advocate in your behalf. Factors such as the property being totally renovated and the quality of workmanship are also key factors. Is the property located on a block that has abandoned properties or are there others similar to the one you have interest? Remember, some values may have decreased a little.