amaldiallo, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

I'm interested in making an offer on a 3br/3baths townhouse listed for 588K on Holly Drive in CA 90068. What would be a fair to offer? Thx for

Asked by amaldiallo, Los Angeles, CA Fri May 31, 2013

input

Answers

19
Work with an Agent to represent you. You won't go wrong and you could save a lot of money!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 31, 2013
Do your homework. Look at comps for the area for 30, 90, 180 days. Avoid agents and get a good lawyer, as remember that, even though the agent is ostensibly "working on behalf of the buyer", they don't get paid until you buy the property. By nature, they are working for the seller. This model needs to change.
Also, bring a trusted contractor through the property before you make the offer to eyeball it for any egregious issues.

The only thing a realtor will do is the comm between you and the seller agent, which YOU want to control. Once the seller accepts the offer, which may take some negotiating, the escrow & title co do all the work. The only thing a realtor does at this point is send you endless disclosures that absolve them of any responsibility and protect them//their firm from lawsuits!

in fact, the entire house buying process is filled with such disclosures and indemnities, as all liability and responsibility gets shifted onto the buyer these days due to the rampant greed and fraudulent practices by mortgage cos, title/escrow cos and realtors before the econ meltdown! So the consumer carries the burden! READ EVERYTHING!

Once you write the offer, which is on a standard form for which you can get detailed instructions, demand a decent contingency period (don't let anyone pressure you here into a 17 day contingency period, as big mistake), DO NOT WASTE YOUR $ on a general inspection. Pay the higher price for specialty inspections for roof, plumbing, electrical, geo (if necessary like if the prop is on a hillside), pool, etc. A GI takes no responsibility for anything, and only "inspects" the property in a very superficial way. You can conduct your own inspections to a degree by checking the working order of appliances, fixtures, etc. and let the specialists do the rest. Its worth the extra $. Get written bids for all issues that need repair or replacement to present to the seller.

A lawyer can make sure you are not agreeing to any dubious clauses or commitments, and will examine offer doc, disclosures, closing docs, etc. also, don't let the seller pressure you into accepting their escrow company. - you should compare fees between three different candidates, then if the seller balks, show them the fee differences if their choice is more expensive. Although they will lead you to believe it's the law that seller chooses escrow co, this is untrue. Also, as with every escrow and title company, watch the junk fees and demand they lower or remove them. Examples are "eDoc" fees, courier services (which they either don't even use or mark up), etc. insist on seeing actual receipts for all junk fees.

The use of this board to circumvent giving you real advice and pitch you for business, epitomizes the nature of the real estate broker/agent business. They are not on the buyer's side!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
Go to a cheaper neighborhood with that offer
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 2, 2013

I think I know which property on Holly Drive you are referring to.

Are you currently working with a buyer's agent? If not, I would be happy to represent you and provide you some more information about the property as well as comparable sales in the area.

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns at (310) 717-1321 or JamieTian@RodeoRE.com.

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty Fine Estates
(310) 717-1321
JamieTian@RodeoRE.com
DRE #01920120
Web Reference: http://www.jamietian.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 31, 2013
Good morning,
Your Realtor is your best source. If you do not have one, I'd be happy to help.
Susan Bo'ur Realtor
Coldwell Banker
Susan@SusanBour.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 31, 2013
I would ask the agent do a brokers price opinion for you ,also you could ask your agent to call the other agents & see if there are any other offers on the property ,good luck !
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
Are you working with a licensed Realtor? It doesn't sound like you have a good one if you are asking this question. Call me if you need representation it's free service to you.. 818-284-3263. Allison
90068 is one of the areas I specialize in. Please call me at 818-730-8635.
It's impossible for any of us here to advise you because there is so much involved with an offer on a property. My advice is to work with a local Realtor on your purchase! You will be glad you did!

If you didn't already find a place, I would like to help you find a great house for you and your family.

Email me what you are looking for and maybe I can find you a foreclosure not on the market that may want to sell to you.

Let me know if you know of anyone looking for a job in real estate, or would like to get a real estate license. We are opening 12-24 offices in the next two years.

Al Goldberg Broker

310-721-7653 Cellular
805-797-3862 Cellular
800-765-3609 Cellular
ALYourBroker@yahoo.com
Lets do it.

Do you want me to email you an offer, or meet with you today?

You can come to my office in Beverly Hills, or I can cjavascript:{}ome over to meet you, or we can meet in a coffee shop near your home.

Albert Maxwell Goldberg Broker
310-721-7653
Really? Can you be a little more egregious?
Flag Sat Nov 23, 2013
I have a professional team with 20 years experience we are here to help you with writing a competitive offer at no charge. (818) 284-3263
S# - Number sold last 6 mo
Sp - sold price of each sold
Sm - Maximum sold price.
Av - assessed value of each sold
Rf - Ratio Sp/av
LPSF
SPSF
AVRG
Pt - price trajectory

A
Avrg RF* (subject)AV*%Pt For all solds
B
((AVRG SPSF * (subject)SF)*((LPSF/SPSF)*100)))*Pt

Offer which ever is higher and below Sm

;)
Thx
Flag Fri May 31, 2013
Your agent representing you should show you the comparable units in the area which have sold the most recently. I would be more than happy to help you arrange financing if you haven't already and submit an offer for you. 818-730-8635.
Thanks, unfortunately I have
Flag Fri May 31, 2013
Dear Amaldiallo,

I am a local Prudential California Realtor and work in 90068 very often and my office is close by to the townhome. If you have no buyer's agent, please call or text me now and we can put your offer together based on the area comps and I can submit it today. My lender can get you preapproved if you are not already, as it is a requirement and needs to be submitted with the offer. I am happy to privately discuss all details and explain my strategy for successfully getting you the home in this very competitive market we are in.

Warm Regards,
Jan Braveman, Realtor
PRUDENTIAL CALIF REALTY
13300 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA. 91423
818-439-6509
This is a community with just 16 townhomes, it looks like the builder went belly up on their construction loans & they all sold as bank owned throughout 2010 between $435-500K, the original builder was asking between $600-865K.

This community is very unique to the area in how new they are + being a townhome style w/ attached garage, so finding 'comps' is tougher.

"Fair" - is highly subjective in this market with bidding wars & buyers willing to pay over an appraised value to get properties. This is the only place on the market for the size/price/#of beds & attached garage. I wouldn't be surprised if this place sells closer to $630-650K based on other nearby condo sales.

I can research this are some more with regards to comparable sales, let me know if you would like to work with me & see the unit. Showing times are highly restrictive & tomorrow is the only day it's available to be seen.

Shoot me an email directly, I don't look back on this same Trulia posting for answers after mine.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
Thanks for your reply. I wish we had met a week ago. Unfortunately, for this property I had gone to see it with an agent and I'm making an offer for 580K. However, I don't think my agent is up to par to properly represent me in the negotiation process (2years experience). I plan on ending the relation after this (I am so kicking my self as I feel like I am going to loose this property. As a 1st time home buyer in the true sense I need someone with experience and good negotiation skills. I would be interested in talking to you tomorrow. Again thanks for your response.
Flag Fri May 31, 2013
Your best bet is to work with a buyer broker. It won't cost you anything and will likely save you time and money. They can analyze the property for you and give you the best counsel.

To find a great buyer broker read the link I've attached below.
Also, can you recommend any buyer broker in Los Angeles area? Thx
Flag Fri May 31, 2013
Thx, fantastic. I don't think have the necessary experience. I will definitely check out the link. Have a great weekend
Flag Fri May 31, 2013
Hi amaldiallo,

Have your Realtor do a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) on the property using SOLD comps within a one mile radius of the property (the closer, the better) that have SOLD within the last 3-6 months. This will give you current market value and this is what you should base your offer on, not on list price - which may be too high or too low.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
Awesome thx.
Flag Fri May 31, 2013
Hi Amaldiallo,

It is hard to know the current value without an exact address and without taking a look at the condition of the property. I would be happy to help you decide on a price to offer by providing you comparable recent sales in the area. This is the best way to see what would be a fair amount to offer for the property.

Feel free to contact me and I can provide you with more information and/or help you write up an offer.

Jason Ling
Rodeo Realty
(310)625-5902
JasonLing@RodeoRE.com
DRE#01920134