Island Girl, Home Buyer in French Quarter, New...

I'm currently living on St. Croix and looking for the next location. My parents are from the Gulf Coast and

Asked by Island Girl, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA Fri Jul 17, 2009

I've always loved New Orleans. I'd like a small old house in a walkable area. What about the French Quarter, Garden District, Irish Channel? Is insurance affordable since Katrina? What areas are stores, restaurants, etc. Thanks, Island Girl

I would chose the Uptown or Garden District area as you get more for your money. You can always get to other parts of town quickly as New Orleans is not that large a town. You may also want to look at condos if you plan to spend less than 250k. The historic renovations in great locations are the way to go for future value. blog to get some ideas.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 3, 2009
I second the Algiers Point idea! After two years living in the Carribean, I loved it there, easy walk to the ferry and into the Quarter. Felt like home. Plenty of parking on street, unlike most of Orleans Parish. Safest neighborhood in the parish, it is often said. I felt very safe there and I miss it so much. We have an old house there, wish we could go back.
Dear Island girl,
There are many opportunities in New Orleans where you can feel at home living here.

Having lived for 10 yrs of my life in Trinidad it feels so good living in New Orleans and for so much of the year feel "just like home" in this very Caribbean city.

Coming from St Croix, you can find homes here that are in walkable neighbourhoods such as in Midcity, (towards City Park and Jazz Fest) and Uptown around the universities.

Insurance compares with other coastal cities, with alot of what you pay dependent on the specific house and location. Word of advice is ONLY take advice from people who own, work and / or have investment properties in the areas you are considering...for there are means and methods to reducing your costs substantially.

Drop me an email about your budget and lifestyle to best help you find your place in our wonderful community.
Web Reference:
Hello Island Girl, would be glad to help you out. There are plenty of areas in the Quarter and Waerhouse district that art walkable to the Quarter. What area do you want to walk to? What type of price range do you want to spend?

You can email me these details and i will send you back some properties, with pictures, that are avaiable
Island Girl,
I live too far away to give you market stats, but I will suggest that you also consider another historic area called Algiers Point. It's right across the river (by ferry) from the French Quarter. My daughter lived there before Katrina and she LOVED it! Very charming.
Insurance rates are still much higher in Orleans Parish & other coastal parishes than in areas of the state north of I-10. For example, my daughter lives in a small house less expensive than mine in Monroe, but she pays 3 TIMES what I pay in homeowner's insurance. Sick.
NOLA is a great city, and it is recovering. Good luck in finding your new home. You can be there in time for Mardi Gras!
Gayle Causey
Keller Williams Realty, Monroe, LA