Alaina Resti…, Home Buyer in New York, NY

I'm a first time buyer in NYC. I'm thinking of Hoboken vs. brooklyn vs. jersey city and am wondering where I

Asked by Alaina Restivo, New York, NY Thu Jul 10, 2008

can probably find the best 'up and coming area' soft market deals. Any thoughts? Are the nicer areas (i.e. Park Slope, etc) of brooklyn even going soft?

Answers

6
Hi Alaina,

The first thing that any home buyer should do is contact a Realtor who specializes in your local market. This is especially imperative for any first time home buyers. You will be pleasantly surprised how much easier your outlook on buying a home will be. A Realtor will be able to create a buyer plan that meets your particular needs along with setting you up with a reputable lender to find out what loan programs including a FHA option will best suit you. Good Luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 22, 2008
Hoboken wins over Jersey City every time. If you are interested, I just saw an awesome renovated 2BR duplex in Hoboken on 7th and Bloomfield. VERY reasonably priced. Really cool kitchen. If I wasn't looking for 3BRs, I would have dropped an offer. If you want, I will send you info.
ALL AREA YOU HAVE MENTION VERY ROUGH AND YOU NAVER GET SOFT PARKING ,
JERSEY CITY HOBOKEN , I DRIVE AROUND . IT IS BETTER YOU JUST CROSS GWB 10 MINUTE DRIVE OR BUS RIDE MOVE TO FORTLEE NEW JERSEY JUST CROSS THE HUSDON RIVER OR BUY THE HOUSE IN ALPINE NEW JERSEY OR TENAFLY ALL CLOSE TO CITY .....
GOOD LUCK
Hey Alaina.

You pose a complicated question. It's almost impossible for a New York broker to answer a question about New Jersey when it comes to real estate, by law an NY broker can only sell real estate in NY and not in a different state unless they have a dual license, which is very unlikely. And unless the broker you are asking is from Hoboken or Jersey City, I doubt they can help you.
I will contradict my self just a little right now and tell you that I've been to Jersey City at Hudson 77 Condo building which is going up and it is one great building with amazing views of the city and only 5 minute ferry ride to the financial district, can't really get any more convenient than that. My firm has a really good relationship with the brokers who work there and I can always find out more information for you, if you would be interested in it.
To answer the other part of your question regarding Park Slope and it going soft, the answer is most likey a NO. Park Slope was rated as top 10 Neighborhoods in AMERICA, and when you are rated in the top 10 areas to live and raise family, that area going soft is a very unlikely occurance to happen. One broker mentioned Red Hook, that is one upcoming area and they recently build IKEA there and I believe a WholeFoods is coming soon or another large super market chain. You named three completely different areas and each will have pros and cons to them. You have to figure out for your self where you want to be, before you start your search.

I'd love to answer any other questions which you I'm sure have, dont hesitate to shoot me an email or a call.

Best Wishes
Alen, M.
Hey Alaina,

It you are looking for some great deals, I would tell you to consider, Park Slope, Williamsburg, Red Hook, and even if you are looking for a GREAT DEAL, I would suggest Staten Island, St. George Section, I have many clients coming from Jersey, brooklyn and the Manhattan getting deals that are moving fast. You can get, for example, a Brand NEW 2 Bedroom Condo for about 450k,. plus the Ferry is 1 minute away from you and it is free.
Give me a call at (718) 698-2179 or ( 646) 302-1470 at Prosperity Real Estate Group, We are on Richmond ave as well, I can help you answer any questions you may have, this is not commitment to come with us. YOu can come and inquire about this even if you are already working with someone. Buying a property is a constitutional right, and we are here to make sure you are not provided with erroneous information.

My Name is Caesar Galindo Office manager, and Law Student at CUNY Law School.
I would say in terms of real estate investing, when in doubt go with New York. I don't know much about the New Jersey market, but I do know that NYC is a safer bet over the long haul. You also might want to consider Harlem as well. I am very busy and don't see the market overall turning soft, but there are some very good deals out there that buyers are taking advantage of. Give me a call or drop me a line to further discuss your options. My phone is 917-657-6532 and my email is rdaub@warburgrealty.com.