Wsf, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

I look at the market trends Country Club neighborhood in Los Altos, and it looks like this area is declining. What happened?

Asked by Wsf, San Jose, CA Mon Jul 1, 2013

Is it still a good choice to buy into this area?

Answers

9
Thank you everyone for your time and effort to help me answering my questions. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 2, 2013
In a rising tide such as we have had over the past 18 months, it floats all boats. The country club area is not for everyone because it is part of the county and has different rules and regulations for building. They are much more flexible regarding what can be built. This means that you can have larger homes on smaller lots. This is good and bad. Good for those who just want to maximize the size of their structure. Bad in that there is more bulk and density in that area. Buying a home in Los Altos in general is a good place to put your money. Even during the downturn from 2008 - 2012, Los Altos was hit much less hard than outlying areas and the rest of the country. Bottom line is that Los Altos is a growing market and a good place to invest you hard earned money.
I have lived in the Country Club area for the past 25 years. The area continues to improve with new home construction, major renovations and price appreciation that tracks with Los Altos and Palo Alto, the two top areas in Silicon Valley.

I checked your link and see that the median sales price in the Country Club area rose 18.6% compared to all of Los Altos at 10.1%. Looks pretty good to me.
Generally, Los Altos is a good place to own real estate. You have to decide, however, if Los Altos is a right place for you. As for the price fluctuations - statistical analysis on a small sample of sales like in Country Club area of Los Altos does not make much sense. That is why you see median price jumping to over $4M in 2009 and dipping under $1M just a few months later.
Web Reference: http://talisrealestate.com
The number of sales for each plotted point in the graph you referenced is less than 10. I would be very cautious about making conclusions with such low numbers. The price per sq foot dropped slightly for the last quarter I have plotted. The avg sq feet also dropped. The previous quarter had a particularly low avg age of house.
http://julianalee.com/los-altos/country-club-statistics.htm

While talking with buyers and sellers, I'm not hearing any changes in attitudes.

Juliana Lee
Top 2 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty
Cell 650-857-1000

Over 20 years experience
Over 1,000 homes sold
.
Web Reference: http://julianalee.com
I live in the country club area of Los Altos and I am not aware of any demand softening specific to this neighborhood. This neighborhood has access to the best that the city of Los Altos has to offer + larger lots and it is technically in unincorporated Santa Clara County (which has its own advantages.). I'd be happy to help you find a home here!
Marshall Jackson
Intero Real Estate
Marshall@marshalljackson.com
408-656-1070
Wsf,

When looking at data it is best to compare similar properties. Medium sales price represents that mid point where half the homes are above and half the homes are below that price. This can be skewed when more homes sell in one price point then another. When looking at the data you will notice that the number of homes changing hands has been pretty much level for the period you selected.

As lenders tighten up funds it is difficult to finance larger purchases, and this is true as our interest rates start to edge up. If you were to draw a line from the beginning of your stats to the end you will see that there is a slight increase in prices. Although what shows is a decrease.

The good choice to buy is what is good to YOU. It varies and a generic answer on the internet is not going to give you the full picture. Very much like statistics.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
Hi Ron,

Thank you so much for your input. The below link is my referral. (Scroll down and there is the data available)

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Country_Club-Los_Altos/784…

(I have to admit that I'm not good at analyzing data.)
I don't know what info you are looking at; but Los Altos, as well as the surrounding area, is one of the most desirable areas from SF to SJ.
We lived in Mt. View and Sunnyvale for many years; I speak from experience.
There are Windermere offices near there; have a Realtor do a CMA for you.
Good luck and may God bless